El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hey!
I want to lower my Elky but I've been reading so much bad info on using lowering springs. I'm just cruising and trying to save some coin. Is it really that bad? Sound off and let me know! Looking for advice. Here's what I'm trying to mirror. I'm thinking they used 2" springs but let me know if you know different. View attachment 148360
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey hey!
I want to lower my Elky but I've been reading so much bad info on using lowering springs. I'm just cruising and trying to save some coin. Is it really that bad? Sound off and let me know! Looking for advice. Here's what I'm trying to mirror. I'm thinking they used 2" springs but let me know if you know different. View attachment 148360
Thanks in advance.
I’ve got lowering springs and I hate them. Bought the car that way though. Makes the springs too hard for my preference. Also changes the steering geometry a bit.
Drop spindles leaves your suspension and steering components as they were.
To me, lowering springs is the “Honda kid” approach. Easy way to lower a car for $100 though. Please measure carefully and use the online tire calculators to find out if your tires will rub once lowered.

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,139 Posts
If that's your elky in the pic, I'd not lower it further. These cars are not light and the stockish suspension wasn't built to ride like a rock, super stiff. Get it too much lower and suspension travel will have you bouncing everything off the blacktop from exhaust to frame to oil pan, just hitting a dip in the road.

It's the reason lowering springs are a bad idea, they are only a part of the whole geometry equation. If you want the car on the ground, that takes everything changed, better control arms, better/stiffer springs, lowering spindles, shorter shocks etc. And that's just the front. The rear is just as trixy as that concerns stuff like pinion angle, driveshaft length, control arm clearances, exhaust routing etc.

To do it right requires going back to the old expression 'in for a penny, in for a pound'. Meaning simply do it all, or don't do anything, half measures don't end well.

Besides which, I like the stance it has now, not too low not too high, so my opinion is somewhat biased. You could go smaller tire/rim on the front and add a little 'rake' to the car, which doesn't affect the suspension at all, but other than that, I think it's about good as is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts