El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my new rear control arms today, so I put the rear end back in the '78 tonight. I went with KYB shocks in place of the air shocks, and now the rear sits lower than the front.

What would be the better way to lower the front, spindles or springs??? I like the way the rear looks with it's lower stance and the 16" wheels, I'd like to get the front at least as low, possibly and inch lower than the rear. Throw some ideas at me 8)

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Since I'm really not a fan of cutting springs you've only got two options...2" lowering springs or drop spindles. I used Hotchkis 2" lowering springs in my 78 Camaro and got exactly the stance I was looking for. They're also the less expensive way to go...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard that Monte SS spindles are lower than regular G-body spindles, is that true? I really only need to lower the front .5"-1", just enough so the rear doesn't look like it's sagged. I'm not a fan of cutting the springs either, when it comes to suspension, I believe in doing it the right way. I'd rather stay away from Hotchkis stuff, they charge WAY too much for what they sell :x Any other companies make spindles for Elky's?

·
Registered
126 Posts
If memory serves me right, they come in sets of four. I tried several combinations of springs until I got the stance I liked. Finally went with stock in back and sold my rear springs to a friend who had cut his and wanted to replace his with lowering springs. I have 235/45/17 on front and 245/45/17 on rear with 1/8" spacers.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i've been looking at the eibach pro series as well, i've only seen them in sets of 4. The cheapest was at tirerack.com for 237. Although i think jegs was 250, but included free shipping

·
Banned
881 Posts
CHVYPWR said:
I heard that Monte SS spindles are lower than regular G-body spindles, is that true?....Any other companies make spindles for Elky's?
MCSS spindles have the same ride height as El Camino spindles. However, 83-88 MCSS spindles will not work with your 78 Elky unless you also swap the MCSS rotors and bearings. The 78 El Camino spindles, bearings, and rotors are different than all other G-body El Camino.

I've used both the Bell Tech and Summit drop spindles for G-bodys. They are the same as the S-10 drop spindles. They'll both give you around 1.5-2" of lowering and they're about $150/set. Check first because they probably won't work with your 78 rotors and bearings. A front end alignment is necessary afterward also.

:mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts