El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock wiring harness that was on a running 5.3 when I pulled it . it was in a 2000 Silverado 1500. All the sensors going to the block, heads and intake stayed connected. I have located the 4 O2 sensors but have about 6-8 connectors left over that go nowhere, I found the transmission pigtail that I won’t be using, So I labeled that and it’s gonna be removed from the harness. I just don’t know what these other sensors are for, especially since there is nothing on the engine to plug in. I’m thinking that one of them might be a cruise control connector, but I don’t know what they are. I will be posting pictures of the connectors soon.
Any help would be great.
Also I’m using a TH350 for the transmission so I don’t need those connectors.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
One of those is likely the connector at the PRNDL module on the drivers side of the transmission. Another is likely for the Vehicle Speed Sensor on the tail shaft of the transmission.

Rick

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
You can check all the pinouts at LT1Swap.com. This should get you to the right page. If you go by the chart and remove all the unnecessary wires I'm pretty sure you won't have any extra plugs or you will have identified what the extra ones are.

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, everything helps out.
Looking over that pin out page seems like I'll be able to make my own standalone harness.
badas!!!1

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Did yall delete your knock sensors when flashing your Computer?
Still running the knock sensors. Kept everything to make it run right but deleted everything that had to do with emissions since here in TX. any Elco is old enough to be exempt! I had Brendan at the LT1 Swap site delete anything I didn't need to go fast. Sent it with a check and had it back in 3 days.

Joe

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, everything helps out.
Looking over that pin out page seems like I'll be able to make my own standalone harness.
badas!!!1
Yep, it's actually pretty easy if you've ever done a bit of wiring. I just started my second one, haven't found the vehicle to put it in but it's just too much fun making those harnesses work for nothing when there are others paying hundreds for conversions. Good luck!

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 10 years of experience with Att at a repair technician Ive dealt with 1400 pairs of wires in one cable sheath. So I looking forward to attacking this little bitty thing.
Just needed a push in the right direction before I start cutting.
Super stoked.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I kept my knock sensors but replaced the sensors and their harness before installing the engine given how difficult it would be to do so later - under the intake manifold. In fact, the basic health of my engine has been good on compression and oil pressure but I've been a little troubled by other sensors going bad. Bad Engine coolant temperature probe, bad camshaft position sensor, bad vehicle speed sensor in the transmission and a few bad fuel injectors. I wish that I had replaced the crankshaft position sensor while the engine was out because of where it is but no trouble out of it so far.

Rick

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I kept my knock sensors but replaced the sensors and their harness before installing the engine given how difficult it would be to do so later - under the intake manifold. In fact, the basic health of my engine has been good on compression and oil pressure but I've been a little troubled by other sensors going bad. Bad Engine coolant temperature probe, bad camshaft position sensor, bad vehicle speed sensor in the transmission and a few bad fuel injectors. I wish that I had replaced the crankshaft position sensor while the engine was out because of where it is but no trouble out of it so far.

Rick
I put in 2 new knock sensors, didn't worry about the harness it seemed ok, and sealed the sensor plugs with GM grey silicone just to keep out moisture. So far so good. After going through most of my engine and being around the techs at work there's really nothing difficult to access on an LS motor. Everything is modular and comes off as an assembly, I've seen a tech replace a knock sensor in less than 20 minutes and didn't even need new gaskets! I love these motors! Sure beats the old days of 2 piece rope rear main seals! Some swap parts might make some things difficult but the 99-07 LS motors are awesome from a service point of view. I would say the worst thing is a bad lifter, you gotta pull the heads to get to them! Sorry, just had to say!

Joe

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I started the surgery this morning, had 20 min to spare before work, finished pulling all the pins and removed all the wires from the harness to the top of the intake, now I just have to follow them to the sensors and cut out. Retape and reloom. It was easy enough, just have to be patient

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of that giant fuse box and minimize it to a smaller block. Any ideas? What did yall do?

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts