El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So through a rather series of unfortunate events, the 15+ year old rear disk brake setup I have on my Elco suffered a seized and broken slide pin in one of the calipers. And of course the company who made them is out of business so getting a replacement of any sort seems to be an impossibility. Not wanting to go back to drums, I ended up getting a pretty decent price on the whole rear brake setup shipped to me from a 99 z28 Camaro that would serve my purposes well enough. The problem I seem to be running into is that it won’t clear the 15” Cragars that I have on the car now. A lot of the guys on the 4th gen forums seem to be fine with grinding down the calipers to fit a 15” wheel but that seems just wrong to me. Does anyone have any experience with this? My other option is to try and find a new set of wheels but I’m pretty fond of my cragars and on top of that the tires are basically brand new.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Just how much grinding is necessary? I’ve shaved a few corners off, but a lot depends on the shape and just where it needs to come off. There’s no rule of thumb, but I’d be hesitant to take more than about 1/16” off of any corner.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I won't have the answer you need either ,as when I do probably those I got 18's. I do know when dealing with discs & wheels there is both the diameter & the backset, as well as the wheel type itself. Soft lip wheels have a little more room & may fit. I know for backset depth sometimes just a 1/4" spacer can give the clearance needed.
On top of caliper to inside of rim, looks like they aren't a ton away from clearing looking at pics just now. Grinding that I saw may loose a little solidity of hard braking feel, which you may never EVER even notice on the back of a street elky. I didn't put much looking into this, since it would be 2nd hand knowledge anyways, but I think it could be fine. Maybe someone on gbodyforums may have done this with your wheels. I think it was LSCUSTOMS that did a nice rear brake thread there years ago.. I think it sounds like a combination of a minimal sized spacer & a little grinding could work.
On the more expensive side, Wilwood brakes probably has something for 15's as well as I'm pretty sure if that's cragar ss wheels ya got, they have em in 16's & 17's.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS808US808&q=ls1+rear+brakes+with+15"+wheels&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwir0Z7Mg7vkAhUxzlkKHY2SAo8QsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1135&bih=519#imgdii=747ia0gZF6xTUM:&imgrc=UG-GxdvKjxqDeM:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts