El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a 98 Trans Am LS1 into my camino. Looking for help on wiring. Have the trans am harness complete. Thought about buying a new harness from Street Performance but $800 has me reconsidering modifying harness. My way of thinking should only have to modify connections to go to interior of car. Looking for info on headers. Since I live in Cal has to have carb number on them (emission legal shorties) anyone tried to put f body headers into a g body?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Gary the Ls1s didn't come out in f bodies until 98 if your engine was in a 97 it should be a lt1 thats the last year for them .you will have to find out which engine that you have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you're so right. fingers need to go on diet and could reduce the fat fingering or maybe proof read a little better its a 98. Got a new 22 gal tbi tank ordered with new sending unit (cost more than the tank) and pump. degrease the engine compartment one more time and paint this weekend. Plan on setting the motor in this weekend if my welder buddy has time to cut and box the front crossmember. Guess Ill try what summitt had to say about headers order set for f body dont scratch them and try them on for fit. If they fit okay bolt em up if they dont send em back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i feel you pain. i'm picking up a LT1 with tranny this weekend and it's going into my 67. i found a web site that might be useful. i haven't priced anything yet, but it's a killer site to look at anyway: www.speartech.com check it out. he can modify your harness for stand-alone duty. if you talk to them, let me know how it goes. robert

·
Registered
96 Posts
you might have to get the PCM reprogamed or an aftermarket PCM. Because the bird you took every thing from may of had pass key anit-theft system which could play hell trying to get it running. also the PCM communicates with all of the other processors on the vehicle such as ABS, IP cluster, airbag, anti-theft, and body controls. If the PCM cant communicate with the others it might not work. unless the progaming inside alows the PCM to work alone

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
gasmodesto said:
Installing a 98 Trans Am LS1 into my camino. Looking for help on wiring. Have the trans am harness complete. Thought about buying a new harness from Street Performance but $800 has me reconsidering modifying harness. My way of thinking should only have to modify connections to go to interior of car. Looking for info on headers. Since I live in Cal has to have carb number on them (emission legal shorties) anyone tried to put f body headers into a g body?
No short easy answer here. If you are planning on modifying the harness from the donor car, be prepared to spend about 50 hours reading the factory manuals for both the donor and donee vehicles figuring out what's needed and actually doing the wiring. Also, what about speedometer drive and vehicle speed sensor...do you plan on using an aftermarket electronic speedo? As for just modifying connections to the interior...there isn't much actually going inside the vehicle, and it isn't that simplistic. Power, and switched power, ground, ALDL connector, brake circuit, P/N switch, VSS, Tach, etc.

I've done several LT1 conversions and never use anything but donor wiring harnesses, but then again, I've been specializing in auto electric and a/c systems for 26 or 7 years. It usually takes me about 8 hours to mod just the harness. This includes striping the harness of useless circuits and electrical tape. Extending or shortening the harness for PCM location, retaping and recovering with convoluted tubing. Then a few hours installing, building a relay/fuse panel and securing. The reason I roll my own wiring is simple: Because I can! Not saying that you can't do it, just be prepared to do your homework and set aside some extra time to actually do the work. There is no pat answer, and there is very little on the internet to tell you how to do it... so read the manuals and do your homework! Also, most of the places that sell the harnesses are very cryptic with their information, and by the time you buy all the "addons" to the harnesses, (cooling fan kit, speed sensor kit, programing anti theft out, and programing for gearing, etc,) you will have spent a small fortune.

Sounds like you're on the right track on the headers.

Good luck!
Robert

·
Registered
111 Posts
I saw a super clean LS1 swap into a 84 El Camino last week. The guy has alot of the functions from the pcm like anti-thet,factory keyless/security system,theature dimming interior lights and I am sure I am forgetting something. The car looked like it came with an optional 2000 SS Camaro drivetrain package! His radiator was tilted back like on the Camaro and the stock SS airbox was drawing air from in front of the radiator. I was impressed since he did most of the work himself. I should've got this guys number. Hopefully he will come check out this site after I told about it. He is also from the bay area Gary.

·
Registered
18 Posts
jimmy74 said:
you might have to get the PCM reprogamed or an aftermarket PCM. Because the bird you took every thing from may of had pass key anit-theft system which could play hell trying to get it running. also the PCM communicates with all of the other processors on the vehicle such as ABS, IP cluster, airbag, anti-theft, and body controls. If the PCM cant communicate with the others it might not work. unless the progaming inside alows the PCM to work alone
Only communication required between the BCM(body control module) and the PCM is the VATS info. It's a simple square wave that can be programmed out or can be fooled with a simple electronic box you can build for $10 in radio shack parts, or buy for $25 on ebay.
Not a big deal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an LT1 & T56 in my 86 Monte SS, and the harness was modified by John at www.speartech.com. He lives about 30 miles from me & I knew him when I worked at Delco Remy while he was working there. Also a good place to look for tips is to do a search on the web for John Bzdel. He has an 87 or 88 Monte SS with an LS1 & T56. He has a very elaborate website with pretty much step by step instructions on what he did.

Scot

·
Registered
18 Posts
F body manifolds are no problem.
I had to switch from the truck manifolds on my swap to the F body ones in order to get the converters on for the smog nazis here in CA.

I'm in Fresno, PM me if you need a hand. It's not that bad.

With a multimeter and a weekend, you can have the harness up and ready for install.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don`t know if you are still working on your car but another good place for help is www.ls1tech.com in the conversions and hybrids section. Right now there are at least 3 of us swapping gen III motors into our 78-87 El Caminos, 1 4.8L, my 5.3L and a vette 5.7L. look for the thread about swapping it into a 86 EC. that is where we have all been posting, lots of good info. BTW I fit my motor in without notching the oil pan or crossmember, but I did notch the heater box. F-Body manifolds fit mine without a problem, and I heard 98 hooker headders are the closest to fitting, have to dent one tube though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
G-Body said:
BTW I fit my motor in without notching the oil pan or crossmember, but I did notch the heater box. F-Body manifolds fit mine without a problem, and I heard 98 hooker headders are the closest to fitting, have to dent one tube though.
Who or what motor mounts did you use? Also which oil pan?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
563 Posts
Your gas tank

Hey gasmodesto if you bought a new tank and sender, like I did check the posting about gas tanks. You might want to modify that tank BEFORE you install it, and certainly before you fill it with gas.

The GM sender I bought was expensive but is seems to do what it was supposed to. The gas just foams up and takes 15 to 20 minutes to fill up the tank. You may want to start welding on your gas tank, and that is easier if it does not have gas in it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
BLWN1 said:
G-Body said:
BTW I fit my motor in without notching the oil pan or crossmember, but I did notch the heater box. F-Body manifolds fit mine without a problem, and I heard 98 hooker headders are the closest to fitting, have to dent one tube though.
Who or what motor mounts did you use? Also which oil pan?

Thanks
Chris
I used mounts that I bought from a guy on LS1Tech who was parting out his LS1 cutlass. The oil pan was a stock 98-02 f-body oil pan. There should be pics of the mounts in this thread, also a lot of other good info. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252644&highlight=camino+wiring

I measured the mounts and have the dimensions, if you want a copy of the dimensions PM me an e-mail address to send them to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts