El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 87 el camino with a ls3 swap. I have been through 2 r4 compressors and wanted to switch to a sanden style compressor. Has anyone done this and which compressor and lines did you use. I know there are sd508, sd5, sd7 and flx, also several different models within those.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Hello,

I'm running an AC Delco Denso A/C compressor on my LS swapped 70 El Camino - part number 471-9186 or ABC Auto Parts 15-22144. This compressor is low mounted on the passenger side of the motor in the original location where the 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 liter engine-equipped donor vehicle mounted its AC compressor. In fact, shop for an AC compressor for this donor vehicle and this is what you would find.

Using this compressor allowed me to retain the front engine accessory drive (FEAD) as equipped from the donor vehicle which saved me $1500-2000 over buying an all new FEAD, switching to a different water pump, power steering pump and alternator - the ripple effects here are considerably expensive.

This compressor is also a fixed output compressor that is perfectly compatible with my "Classic Auto AC" air conditioning system. Some systems require variable output and some need a fixed output and you will need to determine what you need before ordering any new compressor.

I'm using completely custom made lines for my Classic system. The hardest part was finding an adapter coming out of the compressor that a custom set of lines could connect with. No worries, I found what I needed below from the people at "Nostalgic AC":

You are also going to need something to trigger your fans if you are using electric fans. I went with "Four Seasons part number 35879". This fan relay, thermostat and adjustable temperature sensor allows for an electric fan to immediately turn on when the A/C compressor kicks on. You need this to control AC compressor head pressures that can damage the compressor.

The reviews on this fan relay kit are not perfect but it works well for me and I don't know a better alternative.

Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick,
Thank you for the reply. I already have the holley relocation kit, water pump and power steering set up. I also already bought the ac relocation for the sanden ac compressor, currently I have the R4 set up from holley. Would that compressor bolt up to the Holley kit or is it a direct fit set up. I know the sanden can take up to 6k rpm or more depending on which one. Since I alreay purchased everything I would think it would be easier just to add a sd compressor. My cooling fan set up is run through my Dakota digital set with temp and turns on also when the ac is activated.

Thanks
Trevis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts