El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just looking at stuff i cant afford again and was just wondering what kind of funds would have to get shelled out to put drop an ls3 into the camino. ive got an '80 with a little baby 229 in it so i plan on upgrading eventually just not quite yet.

i figure the engine will be somewhere between 6 and 8 thousand but what about having it all installed and wired up? anyone done this?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Having someone do it will definitely run up the bill. On a crate engine , you need to add for harness computer front accessories ,Muscle car oil pan ,Trans, on top of the rest of the usual mounts, etc.
Pull out motor assemblys are a more affordable option to consider. Also, you may consider a less powerful, but much more affordable option such as the 5.3 truck engines.
If you're serious on doing this later, look around on Ls1tech.com & bookstores have a recent ls swap book written by Shawn henderson that covers a lot of options. Also check further back here for LS swap info.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
as stated above try the used take out complete engines with harness. you will spend a little more for the whole thing but you will have a running complete engine with all of the acessories and brackets and a harness to modify into your car. you will save a lot of money in the long run this way. allthe little things will drive the project cost way up.you might pay 5/6000 $ for a complete motor and trans as long as its not too new or exotic

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like i said its a long way off and ill be done with school with a job before im ready for all that. i just thought buying a crate and having a professional install with a warranty was generally a better idea and worth the extra cost?

·
Registered
24 Posts
It all depends on the shop. My knowledge comes from vehicles that are a bit harder to swap an LS into but basic principle is the same.

The most important thing to do is make sure you do research. Go to plenty of shops, talk to any locals who have had work done. Make sure they're willing to keep you updated on the progress of a build. I've seen more than a few guys in the nissan world get burnt by shops that claimed tons of experience and low prices, but ended up with a partial swap that they had to start over from scratch with.

Like others have said a swap project will run into unexpected expenses, so if they give you a quote, there may be adjustments made to it over time. If anything seems fishy or too good to be true, it probably is. Take your time when choosing a shop and make sure you're comfortable with the price and the time the swap costs.

On the other hand there's a lot to be said for doing a swap yourself. It can seem overwhelming but it's a great opportunity to learn a lot about your vehicle and you'll know exactly what is in your Elky when you're done.

Either way when you've decided what to do keep us posted and take plenty / get plenty of pictures, I love swap projects!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i just finished a Lt1 /4L60e/abs conversion on my 86 and was a lot of work but not an insumountable task.from whaat i have seen there is a fair amount of frame modification to run the ls in our cars.you really want to be very carefull who you let modify the frame on your car.it could easily render your frame unsafe if it is done wrong. reserch the swap in great detail so when you talk to the shops you will know if they are full of s*** or are up to what you want done .there are a lot of butcher shops out there.look at some finished cars they have and see if the work looks factory when done or thrown together. done right it should look as if put there by gm.make sure the shop is insured or bonded in case they screw up something

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said its a ways off I just like to look around and learn, thanks for the help guys.

While we're on the topic of things I can't afford though, how bout that ls9? Tempts me to quit my day job and star knockin over seven elevens!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts