El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an engine from a 2006 Monte Carlo ss and a transmission from a 2010 Camaro ss will these work together?

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
What transmission type was in the Monte Carlo? The reason I ask is that there can be mismatches at the flexplate and maybe the input shaft to the transmission. I'm far from an expert here on what works with what.

If you want to go with an LS engine and transmission, it will be more expensive and time-consuming than simply rebuilding your original engine or buying a similar engine. I switched from an original 1970 small block 350 engine and TH350 transmission to a 1999 GMC Sierra 5.3 liter LS (actually, an "LM7") engine and 4L60E transmission. The ripple effects here are many. Different engine mounts, oil pan, powertrain control module, wiring harness change, shortened & re-balanced drive shaft, moved trans cross member, possible headers required, electric fuel pump for 58 PSI in the fuel tank, fuel pump regulator, possible floor pan sheet metal surgery to fit the new transmission, differential gear change possibly required. I'm probably forgetting something.

I must be insane now that I write all of this down. I read two books cover to cover about LS swaps beforehand and still did it. I'm still working through issues with my swap and I've been working on it since April, 2017. But the engine starts easily, has great gas mileage and good power.

But really????????

Rick

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Short answer yes. Possible yes. If you're going to only use the long block and change every other thing on that motor, like intake, exhaust, front timing cover, and everything forward from there. That motor was re-designed to be mounted sideways and everything was modified to make that work. On the cheap, not happening. If you want to save some money get a truck iron block, an LS swap kit from one of the leading companies (Holley, Hooker, Trans-Dapt, etc...) and an accessory drive kit from Jegs or Summit. I promise it will save in the end and the headaches will be much less intense! If you don't believe me ask these guys. Best wishes and good luck! Feel free to ask from the "been there still doin it" guy!

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018/03/15/ls4-engine-specs-performance-bore-stroke-cylinder-heads-cam-specs/

·
Registered
272 Posts
With how cheap one can get a plain old iron block motor its absolutely not worth it to try to shoehorn in a front wheel drive motor. LS4s are only 5.3 as well so my 2 cents would be to sell the LS4 and use the $$ to fund either a 5.3 or 6.0 truck motor. It will save you a ton of headache in doing so. Assuming you are commited to doing an LS swap at all though, that TR6060 trans you have there is a great trans but be aware that it doesn't have a traditional yoke, it has a flange out of the end. Not a huge deal but it will either need to be mentioned to whoever makes your driveshaft or the tailhousing will need to be changed to the T56 magnum one from Tremec to go to a traditional yoke.

·
Supporting Member
4,418 Posts
Christian,I see you are in CA. They have extremely strict laws on engine swaps, so be sure to check them out before you get started.

The LS4 is somewhat popular with the Fiero crowd- you might be able to sell it on the Fiero website. http://www.fiero.nl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts