El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone put a lt1 in their camino? if so i was wondering about how much money it cost, and what changes you had to make. 8O

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
LT1

Yes, I put one in my 83 Elky last year. I used a 1996 Corvette LT1 since the accessory brackets are better suited for the engine bay. I also used the trans that came with the engine, a 4L60E and shortened the driveshaft.
I used the wiring harness that came with the engine and modified it for my application and built an underhood relay and fuse panel. I bought Tunercat and LT1 Edit so I could re-program the computer for my 3.73 gearing, and change the shift points. Everything bolted up nicely and other than the wiring was a piece of cake. Let me know if you need any wiring diagrams, I have all of them. I may have a few photos of the project, but I know I lost the bulk of them a few months ago after a computer crash.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
I think 3 or 3 1/2 inches...Don't remember right off. I had a bit of trouble, and still do with it since I'm using the Vette tranny. The output shaft doesn't have the same length splines as does the Z28. Which means the yoke bottoms out with very little of the sleeve inside the tailhousing bearing. I need to pull the trans and switch out the output shaft. BTW, don't use a Vette trans!!! Anyway, measure the old trans and the new, then subtract the difference from the driveshaft. Which tranny did you have in the car before?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would it be better to get a 93 lt1 then? they have the 700r4 i think, instead of the electronic one

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
I chose the 96 LT1, and converted it to OBDI so that I could program the PCM using my laptop. I also wanted the 4L60E for the same reason. The problem is with the spline on the output shaft. The Corvette has independent rear suspension, so doesn't have a floating rear end as do the Caprice and Camaro. Since the driveshaft yoke does not slide in and out like the floaters, it has a shorter spline length, what that means is the you cannot get a regular yoke to slide onto the ouput shaft much, so it leaves for very little play. You need at least 1/2 play with a floating differential. My car has exactly that, but very little of the yoke actually sits in the tailshaft bushing. It causes a slight vibration over 90 mph, and then recedes at 95 mph. If I swap out the output shaft with one from a Caprice or Camaro, and lengthen my driveshaft by a 1/2, it will solve the problem.

P

·
0 Posts
It had a TH350 in it. I have the complete setup from a 95 Impala. I'm probably just going to Inland Driveshafts (about 2 miles from where I live) build me a new aluminum one. May do a 3.5 inch DS so if I get stupid and turn it into a 383 down the road I will not have to worry.

Elky85 I recommend a 95 LT1 setup. Upgraded Opti and ODBI. That was why I got the setup I did. The later models can be converted like acauth1 but you save yourself one step with a 95. In the long run there are many steps to going with an LT1 but I keep telling myself that it will be worth it when I'm done. :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: LT1

acauth1 said:
Yes, I put one in my 83 Elky last year. I used a 1996 Corvette LT1 since the accessory brackets are better suited for the engine bay. I also used the trans that came with the engine, a 4L60E and shortened the driveshaft.
I used the wiring harness that came with the engine and modified it for my application and built an underhood relay and fuse panel. I bought Tunercat and LT1 Edit so I could re-program the computer for my 3.73 gearing, and change the shift points. Everything bolted up nicely and other than the wiring was a piece of cake. Let me know if you need any wiring diagrams, I have all of them. I may have a few photos of the project, but I know I lost the bulk of them a few months ago after a computer crash.
do you have diagram for the 85 TPI concerning what mods need to be done to factory harness to adapt to my 79 elky? what wires to use what not to use I have the complete harness and computer dont know what wires to used unless I go with painless and the price is very painful!

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
I have diagrams for the 85 TPI, and one for the 79 Elky. As far as having a diagram that tells you what to modify, no. You will need to study both the diagrams and determine first what you will need from each harness and go from there.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
The owner of this '85 (pic: http://www.necoa.org/images/Elky021.jpg ) used a '94 Corvette LT-1. He bought a "Painless" wiring harness and it was a relative snap to install the wiring. He fabricated his own engine mounts. I remember he was challenged in installing the correct electronic fuel pump in the Elky gas tank. He also used the '94 Vette tranny and a B&M shifter, with a Firebird rearend. He says all he's got left to do is get a set of Sanderson "cast" headers, he has too many clearance problems to use "tube" headers.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
The 85 - 86 wiring is broken down into several diagrams...which circuits do you want?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts