El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

This is my first technical post but I just wanted to skim the surface of my problem and see if anyone can come up with a suggestion or two before I go deeper in depth.

In my '68 el Camino I have a transplanted 350ci LT1 from (what I think was) a '95 Camaro Z28. It came with the car when I got it two years ago but I didn't have much of an opportunity to learn about its history from the previous owner.

My issue is with a stubborn low idle condition - when warm it will idle at 600 RPM regardless of load (in gear or in neutral, AC on or off, electrical load high or low). I know that the IAC is working because if it stumbles below 600 it will push up to 600, and when it is cold it will idle up to 800-1000 RPM until warm. I need to get it to idle at the stock 750 RPM when warm so it doesn't stumble and to self-adjust the idle upwards when under load (in gear and/or with the AC on).

All of my daily drivers back to 1995 have all been diesels so I don't have much experience with this generation of gas motors.

Any help will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Mine does just the opposite, idles around 900. really need to stand on the brake to hold it. I should think it's programmable, but local expert hasn't been able to do anything about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the general info. I'm going to run thru the basics myself but I think this is going to end up being a bigger issue that I had hoped as the LT1 was installed on top of the existing electrical system from 1968 and there are quite a few things that I don't like how they were done (I'm very picky about my wiring). Add into that the fact that the 1995 had the transitional OBD-1.5 and it is not an easy motor to work on.

Cheers - Jon651

1 - 5 of 5 Posts