El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to re-locate my power steering resevoir to the drivers side. Has anyone done this and what hoses did you use? Do you have pics. The oem set up has the lines running from the drivers side area > under the crank pully and up to the pass. Side. The pass. Side is full already: Battery, coolant resevoir, fuse box, dryer/acumulater and i havent even hooked up the a/c hoses yet. The drivers side only has the pcm(stuck down in behind the headlight) and windshield washer resevoir. So i got plently room on the fender well to mount...thanks!

·
Registered
916 Posts
I suggest you keep it on the passenger side. It's just way more efficient there.

I fabricated a small bracket to mount this generic reservoir. I used just a standard straight oil hose for the large hose to the pump.
And btw, I am using a small oil cooler. The p/s fluid will overheat without one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Universal-Aluminium-Power-Steering-Reservoir-Breather-Tank-With-Blue-Cap-/382715987080

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1494&bih=1071&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=U1hyXa3QM42qsgWs7r3wCw&q=power+steering+reservoir+&oq=power+steering+reservoir+&gs_l=img.12..0l10.94265.94265..96619...0.0..0.74.74.1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.xrxwrONXZ8Q&ved=0ahUKEwjtxZWioLzkAhUNlawKHSx3D74Q4dUDCAY

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger, what a coincindence that you would reply. googling this yesterday the only good reference i found in the images was yours, off the G-BODY forum. from back in 2017. you had a black slender one at that time in the same spot as your current pic above. you also reference the A/C system too, noting how good the camaro dryer and lines were a better choice to use, especially that swivel manifold. i think you helped me or i ran across the info on that a while back. So far i basically have, what you have mounted on the fender wells and in those same areas. i have the PCM mounted on the fenderwell now. I miss-stated the above the location, as i did have it behind the headlight before. i forgot but what was the reason for it to be mounted on the fender vise behind the headlight? ... preference or nessesity for some reason? oh, and why would the P/S fluid overheat? because of the heat from the header?

·
Registered
916 Posts
That old reservoir was one for a Camaro and had kind of funky looking staggered mounting tabs. It worked fine but just didn't look very good. In this total refresh I did on the car, I decided I wanted something better looking.

I have the air filter box mounted behind the headlight for a true cold air intake. My LT1 came out of a '96 Impala SS and that is stock air box for that car. I modified it some to work in the behind the headlight location.

The Impala SS has cooling loops built into the stock p/s return line. When I first installed the engine, I didn't use an oil cooler and I burned up 2 p/s pumps.
I suggest you use a cooler.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, that OEM resevoir seemed to be the perfect fit considering it had to be sandwiched in with the coolant res., A/C hoses, but not butted against the valve cover, but your bright polished aluminum res. topped off with that blue cap sure does make it stand out!

when i got the '94 Caprice the intake is just like yours from the MAF back to the TB but the guy had one of those blue bullet style filters in front of the MAF and a curved plastic "wall" to hold the intake/filter up. so i'm not sure of how the OEM hookup looked but your stock '96 setup looks great.

i am using the stock P/S set up and dont recall seeing any cooling loops, but i'll look. i didnt know that it created that much heat to where it needed a cooler. does your P/S cooler look like this?(below). i googled this pic from LS1tech website. if this is it then,its gonna have to share space with the Transmission oil cooler that i got mounted right below the bumper towards the center.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
A cooler like that should do the job. It doesn't need much. Any small oil cooler should work. I'm using a small B&M cooler in that same location. I've got a larger B&M cooler down there for the oil cooler too. A stock '96 Impala SS had an oil cooler on it so I went ahead and put one on my Camino.

I've also installed p/s coolers on my '55 Bel Air and '57 Chevy pickup. I used this style mounted on the frame rails on both of those:

I'm pretty sure the '94 thru '96 air intake setups were the same from the factory. Yes, a little modification on that stock air box works really well in the El Camino. If you could get your hands on one it would be a really good way to go.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Just went out and snapped a photo under the front of my El Camino.
The cooler on the left is for the p/s and the right for the oil cooler.
I remembered that the p/s cooler isn't a B&M but the oil cooler is for sure.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know, when i got the caprice for the swap back in '06, all the "stuff"(engine related) i took off the caprice whether i may or may have not needed them, i kept. i just googled 1994 air intake/air filter and realized this tray i have(internet pic below) is the bottom to the air filter, so now i'll be pulling boxes of stuff off the shelf and see if i have the top piece, crazy me,all this time i thought it was a cradle to hold the PCM, i do have a 2 pc plastic frame around it as well.

Those 2 coolers look awful big, my TOC isnt as big as yours. Are you worried since they are mounted like that they might get wacked by a rock, debris, speed bump, curb, etc. and start leaking?

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
Those coolers have been mounted there for 21 years and 27K miles. Not a problem. Plenty of clearance no extra carefulness is required.

Here's a photo showing the air box base in place and the mods I had to make. Had to close up the original intake hole and cut the end out for it to get the air from behind the headlight. I cut some metal away on the car to make it fit in there.

The rubber hose connected to the base is the purge line from the evap cannister. Not using any valves. I just let the suction at that location do the job. The other fitting is for connecting a breather line from the valve cover. I only need that for passing Texas annual inspections. After getting back home from the inspection, I take the line off and put a filter breather on the valve cover.

You can also see I removed the nipple from the air box top. Filled it with JB weld, finished and painted the cover black.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the detailed setup info you did. that will give me an idea on how to do mine. About that purge line going back to your Evap.canister. where did you mount yours? Since i installed an EFI fuel tank,i routed my cannister to the passenger side, on the frame, just behind the rear fenderwell area and then just routed the hose out towards the rear. I guess that will work fine until i see or hear differently.

·
Registered
916 Posts
thanks for the detailed setup info you did. that will give me an idea on how to do mine. About that purge line going back to your Evap.canister. where did you mount yours? Since i installed an EFI fuel tank,i routed my cannister to the passenger side, on the frame, just behind the rear fenderwell area and then just routed the hose out towards the rear. I guess that will work fine until i see or hear differently.
I moved the canister directly underneath that area where the air box is. I don't have a photo of that but I'll see if I can get some time to take one today.

I hope you can find the top to your air box.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it will probably be this weekend before i can start pullin stuff of the shelves,i dont recall seeing the top half, but who knows! lol! gotta pull out the elky into the driveway to have room in the garage.

·
Registered
916 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the info roger, i also checked our local CL and waiting back on a reply of a seller who had engine parts and other stuff for a 94-96 caprice/impala. since i still have my 14" rallys on (temporarily) i decided to put my beauty rings and caps on.. but found i couldnt get the caps on cause i had the long lugs nuts on (i had camaro rims on before). so i'll be looking for the regular lug nuts too this weekend.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have the reservoir mounted on the passenger side fender well, a little behind and inboard from the coolant reservoir. I modified the original Caprice/Roadmaster bracket to the shape of the fender well.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Karl, seems the passenger side fender well is still the preferred location. Strange, that your post is 6 days old and i didnt see it until now. i'm usually floating around here everyday/ every other day.

Roger, this past weekend i got to cleaning up the shelf (only 1 out of the 3), but it was the elky shelf of old replaced parts, couldnt find that top half the of the filter box, but then again, i dont ever remember it either. i did throw away a lot
of junk that i was hoarding... old body mounts,inner/outer tie rods, valve springs, rockers, couple or tires, misc junk, etc., and took it all to the dump.Yesterday i finally ordered an ALDL cable, consumables for the plasma cutter, and today i think i'll go ahead and get that Power steering resevoir. my son came over this past weekend and helped with the cleaning up. That was the kick in the butt to get me back on track to get the elky on the road.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Darn, looks like i'm too late, they're sold out of that resevoir(ur link) but i found this one, seems to be almost the same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-Aluminum-Power-Steering-Tank-Reservoir-Cap-Universal-2Day-Delivery/323783472141?hash=item4b62ffb40d:g:rjwAAOSwqNxcunpY

also, i found an oil cooler on rock auto, they seem to be from the same MFR. (Hayden /4 seasons). if you zoom in you can see MADE IN USA :banana:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6775420&jsn=301
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3584457&jsn=300
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3578070&jsn=302

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Darn, looks like i'm too late, they're sold out of that resevoir(ur link) but i found this one, seems to be almost the same:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-Aluminum-Power-Steering-Tank-Reservoir-Cap-Universal-2Day-Delivery/323783472141?hash=item4b62ffb40d:g:rjwAAOSwqNxcunpY

also, i found an oil cooler on rock auto, they seem to be from the same MFR. (Hayden /4 seasons). if you zoom in you can see MADE IN USA :banana:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=6775420&jsn=301
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3584457&jsn=300
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3578070&jsn=302

·
Registered
916 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts