El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few questions for LT1 install in an 87 elky

- What's the difference between the camaro, ta, caprice, roadmaster, cadi etc LT1's
- Which one's the easiest install in an 87 (a/c is not an issue, I don't plan on keeping it)
- Which can I steal a limited slip rear end out of that will work in an 87
- Will the LT1 bolt to my 200-4r tranny

Thanks guys, insight always appreciated :nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the lt1 has the same bellhousing flange as all early chevy v8.the camaro /firebird accessory drive is simular to the b body cars,but sits a little further forward.the corvette accesory drive moves all accesories to the driver side.the frame rail between the upper a arm and the idler arm needs to be clearanced to clear the ac compressor.i just did my 86 and was very minor.you need to look to tell i did it. the biggest differance between the lt1 is the cam.they were all flat piston motors with heads that have the same chambers s the vortec heads.some firebird/camaro engines were aluminium headed,but not a large hp differance.personally i would keep the ac,it just makes a nicer toy when its all there and working and takes nothing from it when you arnt useing it.26 spline posi units are getting hard to find. buy the 28 spline gn axles then you can use the camaro/s10 blazer posi units and gears

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i have actually seen a lot of early iron head lt1 s in camaros. the first one i bought was from a 95 camaro with iron heads

·
Registered
189 Posts
You will need a stand alone wiring harness and computer to retain the fuel injection, as well as, a modified fuel tank for the fuel pump and return lines. Several companies (Painless, Summit, ETC.) make the wiring harnesses and you can do a search here for the fuel tank issues. I would keep the AC also.
suks2bu37

·
Registered
101 Posts
You can use the LT1 harness and adapt it to your car.

One really good write-up that happens to be about LS1 harnesses (but it's logical on how to accomplish the harness itself) is on thirdgen.org by user Pocket.

The F-body alternator bracket keeps the AC comp. just a little closer to the engine than the B-body bracket. You'll just need to clearance the motor mount or work on the AC hose to clear. Ooops, I mean in your case, get the delete pulley and send me the AC parts. :yell:

B-body power steering lines will fit an 80-up 5th gen steering box and go to the F-body pump.

The 200-4R is a good trans. for the 5th gen but if you have an LT1/4L60-E together as a unit, I'd keep the harness together to run that trans. as a backup. For the 200-4R, a TPI or 1993 LT1 TV cable is needed and the bracket needs added to any 94-97 throttle body.

94-95 used to have the most available tuning options. A 96-97 is very simple to re-wire to take the 94-95 PCM (major diff. is single circuit knock sensors on the 94-95)

Nice solid swap for an 87. You'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
If any one wanta a LT1 I have one out of a 94 Corvette. It has about 5000 miles on it. All of the accesory or thete except the AC compresser. Even have the wring. I would like to get 500 dollas for it.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i used the complete donor harness to do my swap and was very simple to wire into the elco harness. i used a 95 b body caprice. on the caprice harness all of the sensors and senders go through one harness so you can do away with the entire old engine harness if you want. it took about a week doing the harness merge.soldered and shrink wrapped all connections,dont krimp and tape you are asking for trouble

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Another thing you need for the wiring is the anti-theft interlock signal. I've seen shops on ebay that just send the interlock signal when ignition is on so you don't need the transponder key and anti-theft control box.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the anti theft was a piece of cake. you use a uncoded box and you can make it whatever resistance you want and keep the anti theft portion working

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got my built lt1 355 installed in my 87 elky. It was from a fleetwood, but i put on a set of mild port and polished aluminum heads off a camaro engine i had. the bottom end is balanced with sfi flexplate and hub/balancer. factory rods resized with arp bolts and mahle hypereutectic pistons. it has a lunati voodoo 60121 roller, and the rest is comp cams. i used the f body accesories, modified the b body harness, and rebuilt the 4l60e with a 3200 revmax stall.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
nice clean install.i used the factory air box to keep it quieter with my foot in it.it is still loud because i couldnt use the silencers.i didnt want that donkey d*** thing on top of the engine, just looked like crap. did you get it running yet ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
oh yeah. it runs. pissed of certain people in my neighborhood :twisted:. i've been modifing the tune a little at a time. i posted a pic of my 78 monte with an lt1 in it in the forum asking for pics. it's a beast to drive. the elky's going to the exhaust shop thursday and then dyno tune the first week of july. need to replace u joints and balance driveshaft, install my locker, and new tires. do you know anyone who makes a driveshaft safety loop for the g-body with a 4l60e. the one's for a g-body with a th350 don't work that well (doesn't sit back far enough and hits the trans tunnel)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
oh yeah. it runs. pissed of certain people in my neighborhood :twisted:. i've been modifing the tune a little at a time. i posted a pic of my 78 monte with an lt1 in it in the forum asking for pics. it's a beast to drive. the elky's going to the exhaust shop thursday and then dyno tune the first week of july. need to replace u joints and balance driveshaft, install my locker, and new tires. do you know anyone who makes a driveshaft safety loop for the g-body with a 4l60e. the one's for a g-body with a th350 don't work that well (doesn't sit back far enough and hits the trans tunnel)
Check speedway for a drive shaft loop. they have one that's real adaptable.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Driveshaft-Safety-Loop,2188.html

And what are you using to modify your tune? Guy that originally did mine has moved on and doesn't deal with LT1 any more.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
what hits the tunnel ? i just reshaped the stock one to clear the drive shaft and is fine and nothing hits

·
Registered
101 Posts
http://www.fastmonte.com/ I have one of his from past transmission swaps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i've seen that safety loop before. didn't know if anyone else made them. i use cats flash utilities for reading/reflashing the pcm, tuner pro to see and modifiy the program, and datamaster and freescan for data logging it. i'm learning as i go and do alot of reading on lt1 forums. all this is for obdI. i'll post a picture of my current safety loop later.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
fits like a glove!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts