El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I wanted to document my build and this site seemed the best choice, I hope you all like the build.

I purchased a 1983 Elcamino for a toy/weekend driver. The plan is to get the interior straightened out and personalized, then Motor/Trans swap a modified LT1 in it. I'll use the 200c trans for now once this corona virus crap clears out and I get money flowing again I'll put a 4lXXe in it. for now I'll work with what I have. I also am going to explore the possibility of hanging a 3rd/4th gen Camaro posi/disk rear end under it, I know, someone will hate on that. LOL But then .......... they will really hate on the motor mods as well. There is a reason my friends call me FrankinLloyd! lol yes I'm ugly as well, but I blame that on the Mack truck - yes for real!! I was T-boned by a semi, and lived to tell the story. but that has nothing to do with the ElCamino. so on we go. I will try to document an get pictures as well. my even start a youtube channel for this??

most of my pictures are on my phone so I'll switch to the phone and upload.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Sounds like a cool project! When you get to the trans the 4l60-65e fits really nice in the trans tunnel but the 80 will most likely require a bit of tin-bending! Also, on the rear end, you can bolt a Camaro posi directly in the original housing and the brakes will, with minor mods bolt on and you can keep the original tire spacing. It requires a pair of 28 spline axles and that's about it. Unless you're planning on custom back-space wheels already! Have fun and keep us posted!

Joe

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well here is the wiring sorted by connector, once the motor is in the car I'll be able to connect to the component (injector, sensor......) Then run the wires where they need to go. And lay down a "cable trunk" to loom up when im finished

Sounds like a cool project! When you get to the trans the 4l60-65e fits really nice in the trans tunnel but the 80 will most likely require a bit of tin-bending! Also, on the rear end, you can bolt a Camaro posi directly in the original housing and the brakes will, with minor mods bolt on and you can keep the original tire spacing. It requires a pair of 28 spline axles and that's about it. Unless you're planning on custom back-space wheels already! Have fun and keep us posted!

Joe
Thanks Joe, I am really torn on what to do about a transmission, I guess it'll be a 4L60E even though I have "0" faith in them. I have had no luck with them in the past, but in all honesty, I did make them work pretty hard. the El Camino is light enough, and I will "NOT" be making her work - except the more than occasional burn out. lol so maybe it'll hold up in this application??

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Well here is the wiring sorted by connector, once the motor is in the car I'll be able to connect to the component (injector, sensor......) Then run the wires where they need to go. And lay down a "cable trunk" to loom up when im finished View attachment 128801

Thanks Joe, I am really torn on what to do about a transmission, I guess it'll be a 4L60E even though I have "0" faith in them. I have had no luck with them in the past, but in all honesty, I did make them work pretty hard. the El Camino is light enough, and I will "NOT" be making her work - except the more than occasional burn out. lol so maybe it'll hold up in this application??
Mine is built to take 600hp and since I'm only throwing 370hp at it I'm feeling confident it'll hold up. My biggest problem was not checking the torque converter to flex-plate gap before bolting them together. The gap was too wide and when I did a really nice pro-stock style burnout the converter pulled out enough to dis-engage the pump drive and munched the pump. I replaced the pump with a re-man one and cleaned all the metal bits out put it all back together and all was good except for the re-man pump. Seems I got the one that made it past the QC guys and it didn't have enough pressure when warmed up. So I took it back to the guy that built it and he asks "What'd ya do to it?". I told him and he was cool about everything and took the original converter that was with it when I bought it in trade since I didn't like the stall speed and he wanted to use it in his race car. There's a lot to that story.

Everything has been great ever since I shimmed the converter. And yes it will survive the occasional burnout now! The guy that built this one built a friends 700r4 (which is pretty much the same) in his 70 Chevelle with a 568 big block and has held up to quite a few 1/4mile runs in the low 11's. He's workin on the flex problem now!

Joe

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well here is the wiring sorted by connector, once the motor is in the car I'll be able to connect to the component (injector, sensor......) Then run the wires where they need to go. And lay down a "cable trunk" to loom up when im finished View attachment 128801
Mine is built to take 600hp and since I'm only throwing 370hp at it I'm feeling confident it'll hold up. My biggest problem was not checking the torque converter to flex-plate gap before bolting them together. The gap was too wide and when I did a really nice pro-stock style burnout the converter pulled out enough to dis-engage the pump drive and munched the pump. I replaced the pump with a re-man one and cleaned all the metal bits out put it all back together and all was good except for the re-man pump. Seems I got the one that made it past the QC guys and it didn't have enough pressure when warmed up. So I took it back to the guy that built it and he asks "What'd ya do to it?". I told him and he was cool about everything and took the original converter that was with it when I bought it in trade since I didn't like the stall speed and he wanted to use it in his race car. There's a lot to that story.

Everything has been great ever since I shimmed the converter. And yes it will survive the occasional burnout now! The guy that built this one built a friends 700r4 (which is pretty much the same) in his 70 Chevelle with a 568 big block and has held up to quite a few 1/4mile runs in the low 11's. He's workin on the flex problem now!

View attachment 128813

Joe
Well thats impressive!!! I'm beginning to think that it's the builder more than the trans itself

·
Premium Member
717 Posts

Well thats impressive!!! I'm beginning to think that it's the builder more than the trans itself
Finding a good Transmission builder is a chore. And yes, it makes a difference. It's too bad you're 350 miles away or I could recommend a good one!

Joe

1 - 20 of 82 Posts