El Camino Central Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Also made a decision on the transmission, going to use a 4l60e. Found a shop that is recommended by everyone in this area. I'll be dropping it off as soon as I pickup a core.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Not a good day at the Bender house, cannot get the alternator low enough, the clear the hood with the aluminum valve covers. My 1.6 rockers will not work with stock valve covers, so I guess I get to go back to stock rocker arms so I can use the stock valve covers to get the alternator were it belongs. I do have all accessories where they belong other than the alternator. So I back up two steps and drive forward

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Not sure why your stock valve covers wont fit with your 1.6 rockers.
My Ramjet engine has 1.6 aluminum roller rockers on it and both these valve covers fit it just fine:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I'll look into it deeper maybe I missed something, at work for now. Lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
You are correct, stock covers fit, I didn't have the rockers set on the valves, (cockeyed) now they fit

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
My transmission should be ready by Friday, then maybe I can get serious about finishing this up

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Making progerss, finally!!! Here I've drilled a 7/16 hole and mounted a Vortec "direct port" MAP sensor, didn't want to use the TPI remote mounted unit. Wanted real time information

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Today I worked on wiring up components. Man!!! Is it slow!! Lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
This is what my whole shop looks like when I am doing a wiring job.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Gaining on the wiring job View attachment 129709
I wish I had done mine like that. I didn't want to screw up anything though so I kept all the pins I needed in place and just pulled the ones that didn't have anything to do with goin fast! So, my computer sits in the space normally occupied by the vapor canister at an odd angle secured with a couple bungee cords. When I get back at it I'm going to build an air cleaner box that the S-10 puter mount I bought will bolt to the top and have the filter under/inside. For now it seems happy where it is and I'm having too much fun driving it!

Joe

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I took some plumbers tape, made short brackets installed them under the ECU cover bolts then bolted to the car. Thus holding it pretty solid

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thought that I would give you all the history on this mod (LT1 with a TPI intake). I'm an old hot rodder built my first V8 at 15 an old 327 large journal. Lol amazing how you don't forget that kind of thing. At any rate, when the TPI came out it was a game changer on the street scene. Massive torque out of a 305, completely nuts to me. I am an ex Holley junky, so ya what the heck is this TPI stuff? Just like my Holley days if there was a tech article or expert documentation about TPI systems, I read it. Then came the LT1, bigger torque numbers, with an inferrior (torque wise) intake. What did these fools do? Make a deal with the dark side? I started researching this monster LT1. I learned that there was a lot to this new motor. Reverse flow cooling, which allowed for higher compression numbers. Sequential port injection low in the RPM's improved fuel atomization since fuel wasn't pooled on top of the valve (batch fire issue) the aluminum heads used the same combustion chamber design as the 69 302 heads, tried and true. And lastly a better, faster ECU. Then I started running simulations in my head of how to combine the two and what would I end up with? Long story short a gentleman turned me on to the LS1 ECU and how flexible it actually is. And I found out that the TPI manifold will set on the LT1, and that the ports actually match up. Well the rest is history. I'll look up the dyno numbers for a POORLY tuned pull. They are interesting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Picked up the 4L60E today, maybe in by Monday after noon???

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Okay I'm going to start throwing out the technical stuff for those of you watching this. In order to use the LS1 ECU on an LT1 you have to lose the optispark, Dorman makes a freeze plug that is 2.88 in that will fit snugly in the hole where the optispark went that solves that problem. Next for ease of operation I took the LT1 coil off of the mount, and mounted a Vortec 5.7 coil in this place. Next thing you'll have to do is pull the stub shaft that drives the oil pump, and then install a Vortec distributor. I pick up the aluminum housing Vortec distributors off of eBay for 50 bucks, then trash all that Chinese ignition and put in ACDelco Quality Parts. This gets you passed and way from that POS optispark. The Vortec distributor will work fine with the TPI manifold everything is in the right spot.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts