El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been using excessive amounts of oil . Dealership initially tried to tell me that 1qt every 1500 miles was normal. :loser:

So after I rammed an oil consumption test thru and proved my point (8 quarts in 5000 miles)..."uhhhh, yeah, we need to talk to GM about this!"

so, not an engine replacement even though that would be faster and cheaper, but a bottom end rebuild. they're saying replace the piston rings, which means replace con-rod bearings also, etc.
he calls back today and says "Did you know your exhaust manifold was cracked?" then goes on to tell me it's plastic but under powertrain warranty. yay, that makes it so much better.
we're the 3rd owners and original 5 yr warranty runs out in 2-4 months. this rebuild would only be good for 12/12 but since the original warranty is about to run out, not even that.

anyone got some advice on how to hold their feet to the fire, or anything else to check, or other parts I should insist on being replaced?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
And everyone wonders why Detroit is rotting to the ground while South Korean cars have a 10/ 100,000 mile warranty....A friend just had a small piece of chrome trim come off her Hyundai by the rear drivers side window...They gladly replaced he whole assembly including the window! They also cleaned the car and serviced it....She is telling everyone how nice they were...Go figure!

My Acura at 10 years old and coming up on 350,000 miles still does not use a quart in 6,000 miles...While your Chevy blows half a case, and they don't care!
So makes you wonder why people still get all fuzzy about Genuine GM parts...

It's all about Quality. In the 60's an 70's the unions pushed wages out of control, so US automakers cut quality to save money an stay completive...By the 80's I was all over, quality was so bad they were a plastic joke compared to the Japanese cars. US makers were stuck by Union Contracts to keep production lines open building cars no one even wanted...:banghead:
Killed the golden goose, just like Boeing machinists in Seattle...Strike for more and more until they move the company out of town....or go bankrupt like GM...

And we get poor quality an poorer warranty service in exchange for our brand loyalty?
Thanx for nothing American automakers...You could learn a lesson from the Germans too

That's my soap box. I'm getting down now....

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I don't care what kind of issues may arise in any/all of my GM cars, I'll deal with it and move on...never catch me in a rice burner...I'll probably be one of the last guys driving a vehicle with a carb on it too!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have Chevy in my veins also...My toy of choice...But that's it, Toy!
But I run 30K miles a year and when is the last time you or anyone you knew got 350,000 miles on a Chevy without much more than tires /brakes and oil changes?

We had 2 SUV's at the same time...I had the Lincoln and the wife had a BMW X5. Cost about the same, but guess who was in the shop all the time? The Lincoln also lost value quicker...

The point I was trying to make was not about "Rice Burners" but what we need to learn from others about Service and Quality!

The only reason the US was the Manufacturing Center of the world was that we Bombed everyone else into the stone-ages during WWll and it took them about 20 years to recover...Gee that is about 1965 our peak! Give the rest of the world another 10years to get sales back and it's 1975...and by 1980 we are in the toilet...Imports were eating our lunch. We learned Nothing...:banghead:

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
My personal experience...my 93 Suburban, gave it to my oldest son about two years ago.....with 390K on it...he still drives it......has over 420K on it now...
My 95 Yukon..........sold it recently with 260K on the clock...
My current driver, 97 Tahoe, 235K, no issues...
My S10, 213K, keeps on going...
My Monte SS, lost track of miles...
JUST SAYING.........
Just my personal preference, and being a GM tech and GM Service Manager, also worked for Fo*d for a short stint, nothing will change my mind, but that's just me!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
So, as a Service Manager you know far better than all of us about the Dealer Vs Manufacturer warranty love affair that has gone on over the years....Those beloved "Factory Reps"...."Too much Monkey Business"...

We are Blood Brothers on GM products, but I put 3X the mileage on my daily drivers that you do, and up till now they just don't hold up without constant attention...Even jumped ship to a Grand Cherokee (Should have saved the steering shaft - lol) that ate radiators & water pumps for lunch...two complete rear axles, and lost the engine at 260K...

Domestics have been getting better, especially engine technology over the past 10 years, but still playing catch up on world class quality that was available a decades before from off shore...

Trust me, as soon as I think a new Chevy will run 35,000 miles a year for 72 months without spending half of it's life in the shop, I'll be first in line...Till then looks like I'm stuck with the likes of "Rice Burner" Acura's
But that's just me....

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
How boring would it be if we were all the same! Yup, everybody has their own individual likes and dislikes, so whatever works for you is OK...Like I said, just thru my own experience, I will not wander after all the years I've had GM products...they just work for me.
And it seems that my three sons have inherited the bowtie bug too!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will not wander after all the years I've had GM products...they just work for me.
buy an Equinox w/2.4L, "experience" the love.

...... Service Advisor just called and said it's ready. when I asked whether I'd have to change oil after the first 1000 miles....."why do you think you would need to do that?" (and he was serious)..."uhhhh, because it's a FRESH rebuild and probably need to clean out residual particulate matter since you didn't clean out the camshaft followers or the screens in the heads"...."ooh, well, yeah, it wouldn't hurt then. we put synthetic in"

remember when a Service Advisor actually KNEW cars and wasn't just a sales person?

ps- I drive a 10 yr old Hyundai Accent. 165000 miles, I get 35mpg on the highway (originally rated for 31mpg, post measurement change), and parts are dirt cheap. suck on that Detroit.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
And everyone wonders why Detroit is rotting to the ground while South Korean cars have a 10/ 100,000 mile warranty....A friend just had a small piece of chrome trim come off her Hyundai by the rear drivers side window...They gladly replaced he whole assembly including the window! They also cleaned the car and serviced it....She is telling everyone how nice they were...Go figure!

My Acura at 10 years old and coming up on 350,000 miles still does not use a quart in 6,000 miles...While your Chevy blows half a case, and they don't care!
So makes you wonder why people still get all fuzzy about Genuine GM parts...

It's all about Quality. In the 60's an 70's the unions pushed wages out of control, so US automakers cut quality to save money an stay completive...By the 80's I was all over, quality was so bad they were a plastic joke compared to the Japanese cars. US makers were stuck by Union Contracts to keep production lines open building cars no one even wanted...:banghead:
Killed the golden goose, just like Boeing machinists in Seattle...Strike for more and more until they move the company out of town....or go bankrupt like GM...

And we get poor quality an poorer warranty service in exchange for our brand loyalty?
Thanx for nothing American automakers...You could learn a lesson from the Germans too

That's my soap box. I'm getting down now....

We bought a Hyundai way back fully loaded it was a nice car but the dealer would call just to make sure everything was working o.k. you can't get that anywhere and the car ran like a top till traded in. 10/100,000. We were across the street looking at Acura's and my Ex-Wife asked if the car came in Teal the salesman said just take it and then have it painted.(WRONG ANSWER) walked across the street and left with the Hyundai I didn't know they offered one that had Class but they did as a dealer test drive fully loaded.

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla 225,000 not a leak and runs like new. Paid $2400.00 a year ago and already got my money out of it in gas savings and will probably run for another 200,000 with no problems.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Actually, my GF is looking to replace her 250K CRV with an Equinox....when I was Service Mgr. for Chevrolet, my demo was an Equinox. Didn't have any issues of course, and that's when my GF decided she wanted one, she used to steal it from me on weekends...

·
Registered
571 Posts
wife drives a 2002 envoy, 200,000 miles and counting changes oil every 3,000 miles never had a problem.
Mine. 2004 Ford 150 with 135,000 miles pampered....4 window motors, entire gauge cluster, front suspension , and when you do brakes on the front, you need to buy the hub,rotor and bearing as one unit $300..per side.talked to the dealer about the windows and gauge cluster, his reply Yah, ford knows about it, but won't do anything even tho there were 85,000 complaints about it. Just live with it...looking at new GM now
1980 elky almost stock70,000 original miles
32 ford pick-up 3,000 miles

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, so after a bottom end engine rebuild we've had the car back 7 days, 215 miles, and we get a Check Engine light.......

code P0011, Camshaft actuator/position sensor

......you know, this sht is starting to get old............

·
Registered
147 Posts
You should ask for a new engine. It was if the engine is in warranty and they had to go inside you could ask for a new engine. A Mercedes engine is OK. I have a 1976 450 SL, it has over 250,000 Miles and a wrench has not touch it. GM should be like a Mercedes a Ck. up every 100,000 miles:banana:

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's cr*p like this that p*sses me off when someone says "why don't you buy American?"

I would if they gave me a reason! this car fits my very specific need, the only other competitors were RAV4 and CR-V. everything else on this vehicle is fine except for the engine. but this is gonna drive me away next time I have to purchase a vehicle. They've burned their bridges with me.

Most non-US cars don't fit me. I'm a big guy at 6' 220lbs wearing a size 48 jacket and 19" neck. those small foreign cars just cramp me.

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
A PLASTIC EXHAUST MANIFOLD !!! Are you sure it wasn't the intake ? Either way, Detroit is putting out pure JUNK,GARBAGE today and we are stupid enough to keep going back and buying it !! My stepsons chevy truck and blazer ,both of them, knocks like a freight train with the "slapping pistons syndrome" and yet when you ask hime if he'll go buy another Chevy,YEP ,he sure will ! No thanks to the new garbage they are putting out. I've got a 97 Ford E350 with 270,00 miles on the V-10 engine,tranny,and it still runs like new ! GM needs to wake up !!

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Serviced a few of those...really not too bad though...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts