El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my elky for only a couple of months and I'm amazed at the attention it attracts. I have guys commenting or asking me about it just about everywhere I go (it is just guys though, definitely NOT a chick magnet). Since this is now my daily driver, it's almost too much attention. Oh, well, I guess if that's the worst of my problems, I shouldn't complain. :mrgreen:

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
70ElkySS said:
Oh, well, I guess if that's the worst of my problems, I shouldn't complain. :mrgreen:
Most everyone here can say the same thing no matter which Gen. they have. I kind of enjoy the attention! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
I get compliments from chicks as well...not that my wife appreciates it as much as I.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That they do! Have fun driving it. Not to cast a down side to all that attention but just keep in mind...While you are enjoying all the attention keep in mind you are also attracting a lot of attention from would be car thieves. Keep a close watch on it always!

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's a blast driving my '69 around! I love it!! I'm not sure what gets more attention though, my car or my bike... Re: Winter driving post -- Will, you definitely need to put some weight in the bed as 87SS suggested. And although 70Elco does have great weather, all of California is not like that... Where I live, in the foothills of the Sierras -- we get snow, and my 69 is actually my winter car!! P.S Is pot still illegal here? :p

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have to agree about the attention. There's not a day that goes by, where someone doesn't stop me and talk to me about my elky. It's not just guys for me, it's women and young people too. Thats what amazes me, the number of young people who admire a 31 year old vehicle. It's a daily driver for me unless the weather is real bad. One of the most enjoyable vehicles I have ever owned........ 8)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get alot of looks, men and women,and most questions are the wheels/tire size, there have been occassions when i have had guys actually take a tape measure and crawl under the elky to get a idea of what they want to run. Then the want to know if iam running a big block because of the 383's radical roller cam and 3"dual exhaust,its almost like taking a fine woman to a dinner party,and all your buddy's are 8O :p

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that you mention it....what size are your wheels/tires? They look great! I'm planning to add 16x8 TTII's to mine later in the year.

·
Registered
492 Posts
70ELKYSS,

I guess this should really be under appearance tips and such but, if you have not been to elcaminostore.com yet they have a really cool feture there. "Customize your car" You can put your year correct Elky in there with any color you want and lets you pick some cool wheels & sizes to see how they look. I think it's a really neat feature. You can even set the height of the car.

I love my 15" wheels because they are era correct and for the ride comfort. Plus it's better to "hook up" with compared to having those pricy rubber band tires. but I would love to have 18" in the rear and 17" in the front just for show.

dave

·
Registered
148 Posts
70ElkySS said:
Now that you mention it....what size are your wheels/tires? They look great! I'm planning to add 16x8 TTII's to mine later in the year.
Thanks 70ElkySS for the nice comment. Well the fronts are 17x8 (4"backspace)245/45/17 Rears 17x9.50 275/40/17 (5"backspace) One of the best things that i did,the car handles like a sports car,but very quick and aggressive. I chose the 17"s because the car just looked boring with the 15" star mags,and i wanted to eventually run a 13" baer front (that i just recently got) brake set up and later 12" in back,hard to do with 14" and 15" stock wheels,and with the elkys power i had to upgrade the brakes or find a better anchor :?. I have never had one problem with traction, 11:40's in the quarter isn't bad for my "rubber bands",hey most serious street machines are going with 16" or larger for what i have seen at the car shows these days,guys of course with stock factory resto's dont agree,but its not for everyone,it wouldn't be a enjoyable hobby if so,also keep in mind the prices are almost the same as 15's on good brands,if you shop around,and thats because there getting more popular. Please post some pictures when you get them on! Good luck!

·
Registered
481 Posts
ooooooooo! mmmmmmm! 17 inch TTII's. I wish I may, I wish I might, have some Torque Thrust II tonight. well at least one of these days. :p

·
Registered
492 Posts
Jim’s 78Elky,

First off, if you have something to say about my comments direct them to me. Don’t try and be sly with remarks that are intended to answer me, talking to another. Be a man and speak up!

2nd, I was NEVER taking aim at your car. I was NOT telling you that YOUR car would “look” or “perform” better on, as you say “boring” 15 inch wheels with taller rubber. I don’t know what you use your car for. Frankly I really don’t care now. I was talking in general about what’s going on in looks and performance. 70elky was thinking of getting new wheels and tires because he liked “the look!” of yours. I like the look of those size wheels also as I have stated in my post, but you did not read that far.

G-machine or drag car the choices are there for both. Fact is if you have a set of 17’s or even lower profile tires on the rear of a car they are NOT going to get better “hookup” drag traction than with a more flexible tire sidewall. I’m glad your car runs the numbers it does, but bolt on a set of BFG’s 255/50 16 drag radials and your numbers with improve. Your right about what “show cars” have bolted on today. Bigger wheels at car shows are now the norm…BECAUSE THEY ARE FRICKEN SIT’IN THERE LOOKING PRETTY! New wheels and tires is an expensive bolt on these days. Make sure you understand what you are going to use them for. Your remark about “guys with factory resto’s don’t agree” is so lame and untrue! Don’t try and make out like you’re the hip one in the wheel fashion world, and us “resto” guys as you call us aren’t hip to the new styles. You don’t know what my other cars have on, do you?

One more stab you made at me referring to “rubber band” tires. I was not making that term up to insult you…that is what they are called. That’s what everyone calls them! Maybe you never “heard” that term used before. Maybe you hear as well as you read my posting!

PS…check the air in your tires, they look as low as your post!

·
Registered
276 Posts
70ELCO, it may not be any of my business, but someone has to step in and referee here. i read his post.

first off, i do not see anything low about that post. he is mearly stating his point of view.

second, no where in that post do i see him direct the comments at you. it does sound like he gets defensive there towards the end of the post, but i do not see where the comments were directed at you.

the only low post i find here is yours. especially the comment at the end, " PS…check the air in your tires, they look as low as your post!"

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hmm…Guess your right. I must have been having a bad day. I apologize to Jim and the forum. I will send him an e-mail also to my response here.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I put 15" on the 76 Elky, which by the way the El Camino Store has no selection for in their customizing your ride section, and I have 16" on the other "A" body (1980 Elky) and I like them fine they look good on the trucks. I will no doubt go with a 15" on the 72 I have when I get to that project. There was a great big price difference between the two size wheels. I paid just over $1,000.00 for the tires and wheels on the 76 and well over 2,000.00 for the same on the 80. I believe that it doesn't make a difference in ride which wheel size you pick it is more a matter of choice, don't you guys think? It has a little to do with lowering the RPM if you have larger diameter wheels but then so would changing the gear ratio of the rear end. Both will lead to changing the drive and driven gears in the Speedo drive.

You can't, that I know of, compete "well" in the Original categories if you enter that way in Car shows, if you don't have something that looks original.

I always liked the Elky Look. Custom or Classic they are nice looking vehicles. Don't argue about who's point of view is right. If the want to is there then just do it. Market wise, up to 72 will generally fetch more money on sale if it is original. After that all bets are off it would be up to an individual what the vehicles are worth. Mine are priceless, to me but someone else could hate them. I don't care.

Some people really like blond women and some like red heads and some other. Its just a individual thing. I haven't seen a truck on this forum that I thought looked creepy or trashy. Jim your Elky is a good looking truck and 70ELCO yours is fine too if they were women neither would be kicked out of bed for eating crackers. :eek:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Here's the link to the page on elcaminostore.com to customize an elky

Customize Elky Page

Scroll down toward the bottom of the page to select your connection speed.

Chris

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Been there and they don't have an option for 73 ~77 Models.

And.........

They only list about 3 different wheel manufacturers. None of them are what I am looking for. I would like to see what my 76 looks like lowered a little. But then its always been that way with that truck.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lots of attention

Ya know, when I was a kid I made it very clear that I wanted and El Camino. I took a LOT of flack for this but I stood my ground. Now that I've got my Diablo they suddenly think it's the coolest thing around. So getting back to the original post, the attention has got to be one of the best extra benefits of owning one of these fine vehicles. I think you've all had one of these stories, just remember, those guys don't get to ride :lol:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Lots of attention

highwaysignpost said:
I think you've all had one of these stories, just remember, those guys don't get to ride :lol:
Yeah - I got a lot of strange looks and turned-up noses when I told people I was looking for an El Camino. Now that they've actually seen the car, most of them admit that they like it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts