El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so ive decided to make my choke manual from electric, im tired of trying to adjust it, So can i get some tips on how to install or where to get the conversion kit ??
i know it is a 4bbl quadrajet........

thanks Brandon..

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
Just put a new electric choke kit on it ! inless you want to operate that cable inside !!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Agree with 87next2last1. Stay with the electric choke. Initial adj is all that difficult

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
I just replaced the electric choke element on my Q-jet. Got it from Advance Auto. The electric type is easier to deal with than the hot air or divorced type.
If there's a problemg getting it adjusted, maybe the climatic spring is bad. A new unit would fix that. And simply adjusting the choke closed with a cold engine , is a place to start.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
If you go manual you will not need the cpo.

·
Registered
641 Posts
To answer your question you PM'd me installation consists (roughly, as always, RTFM!):

1. Pulling off the black cap on the carb, where the wiring connects.

2. Reinstall using the manual choke.

3. wire the mechanism to somewhere in the cab. I chose just below the parking brake release.

4. use the enclosed hardware to hook it up to the choke.

Pulling it out ~3/4 inch closes the choke and pushing it in opens it up. Fairly simple process. Might be easier just to fix the electric. Mine was kinda borked so I just did it in a way that guaranteed it would always work.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard. Like I said, it only moves like 3/4 of an inch.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Eh, it was 3/4 inch fully open to fully closed. How much travel do you get open to closed?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts