El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first El Camino. I plan on doing as much of the work myself as possible. I'm trying to figure out where to get the manuals I will need. Whether to buy CD on eBay or old Manuals or reproduction. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More info

It hasn't been run in quite a while. First thing I would like to do is drop the gas tank and make sure no debris. Change the fuel filter and fuel pump (supposedly that is why it was parked) before trying to start it.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
paper - plastic?

Maxx,
The debate continues. If you are of the current generation, a CD is probably the best, and I assume less expensive way, you can always print what you are working on. Us old school guys want something we can hold in our hands and get grease on. I seem to remember some less than glowing reviews on reproduction manuals on this site, originals are around, just got to look and pay. Google it. There at least two main ones, body and service.
If you really haven't started it yet there is a fairly significant group of things to do to be better safe than sorry. Pretty sure that if you do a search on this site you will find a couple of threads on this very issue. You are definitely on the right track to flush the tank and change the fuel filter. You might do that then check the pump before changing it, they are pretty durable. I personally would change the oil & filter, pull/replace the plugs and put a small squirt of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder. Get some Berrymans carb cleaner to use as starter fluid, you can use it for lots of things later. Be diligent about replacing the air cleaner after each squirt of Berryman's and then trying to start. Fire is not your friend. Keep an extinguisher very close.
A couple of good spare batteries and good jumper cables are also advisable.
Definitely follow up on the search of this site, I'm confident there is much more great information about this very topic.
Good Luck,
bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts