El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum heading but didnt want to take a chance on posting under the For Sale heading and get an electronic spanking for not having 50 posts yet.

My question to forum readers is what happened to the market for 3rd Gen El Caminos? When I got laid off in 2004, I had to sell my all original numbers matching totally restored SS 396--took less than a month. Last year I had a 1972 custom that I restored & cloned into an SS--took me about 6 weeks to sell. Am now trying to sell a factory 1972 El Camino SS with build sheet, NOM 350 4 bbl that is detailed to perfection, totally rust free with no leaks --and-- after 2 months have had only one phone call & zero offers. I drove it up to Belton last month for the annual Region 13 rally and got lots of compliments & interest but no offers. Numerous people (not all 3rd Gen owners) have commented on how reasonable it is priced.

Have listed on Craigslist and got nothing but tire kickers, nose pickers, and scammers. Listed on Team Chevelle with no response. Put it on Ebay with high bid barely reaching $14K. God forbid I ever have to sell my '69 SS 427/5-speed frame-off/rotissarie resto!

Is $15,750 an unreasonable price for a very nice (not perfect) almost original rust & leak free authentic small block '72 SS? What am I missing here? Any insights appreciated.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,538 Posts
Fred,

Having been tracking 3rd gen prices for years in the search for my recently purchased '72, I think your price is reasonable. The price you are asking for yours is very close to the transaction price paid for mine. However, for the sake of a fair comparison, there are a few differences between my Elky and yours, despite outside appearances. First, mine is not a true SS. Nor is it an original big block. My Elky is more of a restomod, with a non-original big block, 700R4 overdrive trans, aftermarket AC, 17" wheels, modern stereo system, etc. What attracted me to this Elky was several factors. One was the price was much less than what I would have had to pay for a true numbers matching 454 SS. And the other factor was that it was not a numbers matching SS, which frees me to continue to make changes along the lines of a restomod (for instance, I am considering brake upgrades and rack and pinion steering for future upgrades) So, I just wanted to give you the info on my Elky for the sake of making a fair comparison to yours. Having seen your '72 in person twice, I can vouch for all that you claim it to be regarding condition/presentation. There are two factors that I think I can identify as being a detriment. First is, it's a small block. It's not a bad thing, it's just that the market seems to prefer big block power in a true SS as most people wanting to pay the extra money for a numbers matching SS want a big block. And secondly, it's a true SS. I know, who would think of that as a detriment, but if someone is looking for an Elky with the same criteria as I was, then that would be considered a negative.

I would also consider revising how you present it for sale. At Belton, I seem to recall that the placard you had on your Elky stated $15,750, firm, no offers, etc. or something to that effect. If you have already decided that $15,750 is your bottom dollar, I would price it as $16,900 (or something close to that) or best offer. Who knows, you may get more than your bottom dollar price. But the real issue is psychological. If a person feels they can't negotiate, they may feel that they are not getting the best deal. So, in order to be more appealing to your prospects, price it higher than your bottom dollar, that way you can let the buyer negotiate down to your price. In the end, the consumer will feel like they got the better deal, even though it's the same thing you would have accepted all along. As long as you get what you want, and the buyer feels like they got the best deal, everyone will be happy. It's all about making your Elky more attractive to the prospect than the next guy's Elky. Hope this helps you out. Good luck with your sale.

:beer:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sanity Check

Thanks for the sanity check, Glenn.

I had never thought about a documented SS as being a liability but having owned a numbers matching SS 396 and now a "tribute" SS 427, I can now see where that would be the case (especially when we talk about the appeal of big blocks versus small blocks).

I also understand what you are saying about the pricing. I used to think the "haggling" approach was just a cultural thing within the hispanic community but am coming to the realization in today's economy, everyone is looking for a deal/steal. With the possible exception of Craigslist (what planet do some of these people come from?), I think your win/win approach to pricing will be much more productive.

Appreciate your constructive and insightful feedback-will make some adjustments per your suggestions (and continue praying for the economy/market to improve).
Fred

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I completely agree with Glenn.

Mine is also a low miles numbers matching true SS that I cant do anything with.

I love the car but any mods are out of the question, I'm thinking about getting another Elky just so I can make a toy.

There is an ad in my local CL for a monte ss, "price firm no joyriders must have cash in hand to even take a test drive". Kinda turns a person off.

Ask more but "settle" for what you really want.

I havent seen your car but the price seems more than fair.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,538 Posts
Glad to be of assistance, Fred.

By the way, I installed the rearview mirror last Friday night that I purchased from you in Belton. Looks so much better than the old one.:inlove:

Sean, you're right on. While I would love to have a numbers matching 454 SS (and maybe I will one day), I wanted a '72 that I could cruise, race, and do whatever I wanted with. Now that the 3rd gen's are all 40 + years old, I wouldn't want to risk ruining a genuine SS by modding, racing, or driving excessively. Someday there will be no more left. I just want to make sure that the day that happens is as far in the future as possible. (Like when I'm gone)

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Money's tight for a lot of people. The economy is spooky right now. I believe people are sitting on their funds. Your ride is a pleasure item and people fear the worse. Enjoy it while you have it and the money will come.
Donny

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear you are happy with the mirror, Glenn. I had originally planned to install it on my 72 SS but when I did the research and realized it was not correct after the 71 model year, I got caught up in the whole originality thing again & decided to live with the patina rather than compromise originality. Thats why I'm keeping the '69 427 tribute; Even though it is an original SS, the 396 & 4 speed are long gone so if I blow up the 427 or 5 speed, I can always go the 454 or 502/6 speed route without any pangs of conscience. :nanawrench:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts