El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know they say that Mr. Murphy was an optimist?

When I had my radiator flushed the other day, I noticed a film under the cap and a sheen on the coolant. I hoped it was DexCool (since it was orange) sludge.

But I'm seeing the sheen again, and it sure feels like oil. The oil in the crankcase looked just fine when they drained it, it looks fine now, and I don't see any other signs, other than the faint smell of antifreeze after the engine has been running. But it sure makes me think I might have a head gasket problem or, heaven forbid, and cracked head.

That's the only place coolant and oil cross, right? Unless...what about the transmission fluid? But it would be red, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it is usually tranny fluid from the cooler leaking. radiator shops only pressureize the rad to 12/15 psi.and the cooler is under about 50 psi. the cooler leak sometimes wont show up at the lower pressures. check to see if your tranny fluid is turning pepto bismol pink, if so its leaking

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You shouldn't get water in the transmission fluid, since, as you say, the transmission is under more pressure than the radiator.

But I AM watching it!

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
You shouldn't get water in the transmission fluid, since, as you say, the transmission is under more pressure than the radiator.

But I AM watching it!
It circulates, yes your tranny fluid with turn pink, (ask me how I know!!:let_it_all_out:)
I seen a trans dipstick shoot up and dent a hood one time, pink foamy crap all over the motor.
Donny

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the word I have from a guy I know on another forum. This is really good information!

""A leaky head gasket will not put oil in the radiator! I am assuming you have a Chevy v-8 in the Elky. Here is why. The water pressure is 16 lbs. so for oil to get in the water the oil would have to greater than 16 lbs. I know the oil pressure in the engine is 45 lbs, BUT there is no pressurized oil passages in the head or head gaskets on Chevy engines. The valve trains are oil feed through the push rods. So not a leaky head gasket or a cracked head.

The only place it could actually come from is the lifter galley oil passage. You know the 3 holes with plugs right behind the cam gear. The center hole feeds the bearings the left and right holes feed the lifters and push rods. The left and right holes have been know to crack and push oil into the water jackets.

Chances are that it is not cracked unless it is a lot of oil. Yes it could be trans fluid from a bad cooler in the radiator. Most likely just some sludge breaking loose from the cooling system. I would not panic and just keep a close eye on all the fluid levels.
"

So, worst case, I'm in need of a new short block. Right now, I'm leaning more toward a leak in the transmission cooler in the radiator, or some sort of residual sludge. The car has only been driven about 6,000 miles in the last 10+ years.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
buy some rad flush and clean it out and put new coolant and see if it returns. if it does have the rad checked

1 - 7 of 7 Posts