El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to put my car (not my el camino however) on the rotisserie to strip it. Anyone have any input on pressure blasters. Good ones, bad ones, whatever you got. i have 2 more to do after this and I dont want to start off with a piece of junk. I will be using aluminum oxide for the first 2 cars, but will likely go to soda for the third. A "combo" unit would be ideal i think.

Input?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I took a perfectly good hood and had it soda blasted with a company I had used before. The hood was totally trashed afterwards. I junked it. The metal on these cars are to thin.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Do NOT use sand. It will heat the metal and warp it. Walnut shells work fairly well. Or, are you asking about the machines to use to blast the media??:???:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I see you are in Big D, Don't blast. You have metal rehab tec. right in you back yard!! I had mine dipped there and That is the only way to go. All rust is dead and gone when you get it back. I have no idea what that stuff is but it works.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you have to pull the glass? I am hoping to avoid that. I have been looking for a chem stripper to do my 66 Bonne however. I thought teh EPA shut them all down. Ill check them out for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I would think that it would be very neccesary to pull the glass regardless of what you use. How else are you going to know "for sure" there is no rust under the glass ? Just FFT.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
did you have to pull the glass? I am hoping to avoid that. I have been looking for a chem stripper to do my 66 Bonne however. I thought teh EPA shut them all down. Ill check them out for sure.
Supposedly, soda blasting will not harm the glass.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
Soda blasting will also not completely kill rust. It is sort of a living thing.

:beer:

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
YES, I stripped an early body and completely dissembled the body . If you use chemical strippers don't you think that it would dissolve /loosen the adhesive that is holding the window in place ?

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
I've stripped a few cars and a bunch of airplanes with chemical stripper. Masking with aluminum foil tape is the way to keep stripper away from rubber, plastic parts etc, if using a big spray rig for the stripper. These days I just lay the stuff on with a big paint brush & scrape it off after it raises the paint, without having to mask much.

It's messy regardless of the method used to strip paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts