El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience converting a 1983 V6 to fuel injection. Any comments on any part of the conversion would be appreciated. I am getting set to go forward and am trying to decide between the Pro-Jection and Megasquirt systems and am leaning hard toward Megasquirt because of the simplicity and the price.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
What is it that your trying to attain? The reason I ask is my son had a 4.3 with TBI in his Elky and it was...I thought, quite dependable and economical. Have you consider just doing a complete swap of a Vortec V6 with 4 speed auto trans, wiring and ECM out of a newer low mileage wreck? This would really be a nice upgrade for you and not cost a whole lot more if you look around for the right deal...and you would gain so much more!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for better cold weather starting and better economy.

The engine is already converted to a 4 barrel with a 4 barrel intake manifold so putting in a TBI is a cinch. I figure 3 hours tops including beer break.

Replacing the engine makes no sense to me at all when this one has less than 40k miles on it and runs like a top. And I sure dont want to get involved with a "computer" and all the crap that goes with that. I took the computer OFF because it was a pain in the butt.

The Megasquirt and Pro-Jection computers are just simple boards that control ONLY the TBI and use only a temp sensor, tach signal and a TPI

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, if you know where I can get the tranny, engine and all that stuff for anywhere near the "Under $200" I will pay for the Megasquirt, please let me know. Maybe I havent been in the right junk yards. Where do you live? If I could get engine tranny and computer and wiring that cheap the two days labor instead of 3 hours might be worth it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In about a month I will be able to report on this. I have purchased a Megasquirt board and a TBI so as soon as I build the board I will be installing the stuff.

I still need a fuel pump for the TBI and an adapter for the TBI to the 4 barrel intake manifold but should be able to find those before I need them.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I am also building a megasquirt system for my Elcamino but I have a small block 406 I will be controlling with it, the throttle body fuel injector only needs about 15 pounds of fuel pressure unlike the port fuel injectors than need 40 pounds so almost any electric fuel pump can supply the needed pressure. You will n eed a return line to bleed off the excess pressure...............Dan

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been thinking about the return line and I see no reason why the return line from the injectors could not go right back to the input line to the fuel pump rather than back all the way to the tank. That area is under negative pressure. Assuming that you have NOT got an in tank pump.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
the return line could go back to the input of the pump -----but its heated once it goes into the engine bay so it may cause vapor lock issues done that way---for a trouble free system return it too the tank and circulate cool fuel through the injector---thats why the factory does it,,, trust me they don't spend five cents that is not absolutely necessary............Dan

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats an excellent point...especially down here in Texas..... But I could also add a fuel cooler...#:cool:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am swapping to a CPI vortec V6/ 4 speed manual!!! Check out my topic in the EFI Section!

I would go Megasquirt if it was me on your 229.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am currently building a Megasquirt. Its going slow because I have several other projects going at the same time. But I will report on the results later, this summer....I hope.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Jim, your 3 hour estimate must be the very definition of "male optimism" wow. My wife defines male optimism as any tasks that when the estimate of three hours to accomplish takes more that 6 hours.

I converted my 305 in my 86 Elky to TBI. It was a long two weekends. It was the best thing I ever did for my Elky.

My Elky is my daily driver. It starts up instantly, just like a modern car.

Good luck on you conversion.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The three hours was just for removing the Carb and replacing with the TBI and installing the card. That did not include building the card or finding the parts. It has taken me over 6 months so far, but not many hours. In fact no hours on the actual conversion, just time locating parts and building the board and building the test board. These are not "part of the project" these are just things to fill my time between projects.

One current project is the conversion of an E-Type 2+2 to a Phaeton. So far I have spent 5 years on the pre-project stuff, just collecting parts and know how. I am about to start on the project itself which will take no more than 2 weeks....#:cool:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The three hours was just for removing the Carb and replacing with the TBI and installing the card. That did not include building the card or finding the parts. It has taken me over 6 months so far, but not many hours. In fact no hours on the actual conversion, just time locating parts and building the board and building the test board. These are not "part of the project" these are just things to fill my time between projects.

One current project is the conversion of an E-Type 2+2 to a Phaeton. So far I have spent 5 years on the pre-project stuff, just collecting parts and know how. I am about to start on the project itself which will take no more than 2 weeks....#:cool:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Did you ever get this Megasquirt project completed?

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Since this thread started in July of 2007 he should be well on his way by now.

·
Registered
400 Posts
wonder if I'll get in trouble for googling Megasquirt at the office. Probably best to wait until I get home
Felix Unger: "Never ASSUME, because when you ASSUME, you make an *** of U and ME."

I own my own business, your comment is made without any facts to support it.

PS The way I read your post is as follows: I lack authority, or permission, to access the elcaminocentral website during work hours. If my interpretation of your posting is wrong then please clarify your posting for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts