El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a Deatschwerks DW200 fuel pump in my '82 Elco to feed a Holley Sniper EFI for a good 6 months now with no real issues to speak of. The other day though I went to fire it up to leave work and it sputtered and died after running for about 30 seconds. Luckily a coworker was around to help me push it back into a parking space. I spent the next hour or so after checking the wiring from the EFI to the tank and verified that was good before ending up having to drop the tank. Low and behold when I bench tested the pump, it wasn't bad but the wiring connector that goes through the fuel sending hat was melted! Looking back it makes sense being that the sending unit common wire looks to be 18 gauge which is a very small wire considering the 10 amps the pump uses at 60psi. Fortunately $60 to Racetronix got me an overnighted upgraded harness that plugs into the same spot in the sending hat.
To make a long story short, when upgrading to EFI, it may be good to beef up the wiring as well as the fuel pump.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts