El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have to do the floors on my 72 first thing. Here is my Idea. Instead of welding, use metal bond and once the floor is in place with the bond under it, before it sets, drill holes through both new and old floor and the bond and use pop-rivets as clamps. Is this a good idea?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
They glue truck quarter panels on from the factory,, I prefer welding and a floor board has more stress points during an impact,, I would say if it has no attachment points,, seats seat belts ect then yes it would work,, there are full time body people on this site that hopefully chime in and give their 2 cents,, Matty man

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Over the years I've seen a lot of floor "fixes" with all descriptions of metal, held in place with sheet metal screws, so a good glue job with the right glue, and pop rivets would likely be better.:beer: Welding them in is of course the preferred way :smileyb:
And once you have them in there, some spray-on undercoating would seal the bottom side, underneath....

·
Registered
28 Posts
hello you could bond them with panel adhesive like 3M or Duramix 2 part adhesive but it will take a lot of product and the stuff isnt cheap. you would need a suitable mating fflange. and you will still have rivets hanging down from the underside. if your car is just a driver i would suggest cutting the new pan 1 inch larger on all sides and screwing it down. after installing all your screws take the screws out and lift the new pans out. run a bead of urethane window adhesive on the flange and rescrew them down. you can cut the screw points off with a whizzer from the underside. not perfect but cheap, fast and permanent.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
If you're asking because you don't have access to a welder or don't have the ability, then yes you could use panel adhesive. But as metioned above, it would be better if seat tracks and/or seat belts are not attached in that area.
3M and duramix are good. SEM also makes good products. But you'll need to buy the adhesive around $40 and the special dual caulking gun around $60 so figure $140 with 2 packs of adhesive.
They glue door skins on from the factory and they're not flying off in accidents. They do sometimes seperate from the door shell if hit hard enough.
All that being said, if you do all the prep work and have everything clean and lined up a body shop might not charge much more to weld it than what it would cost for the adhesive and dual mix gun.
Or buy a welder for a few $$ even used if it works and DIY.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We do have a welder (cheep as it may be) and I can weld. I had just never done floors before so I guess I was kinda intimidated, but my husband and I just did the floors in his 80 Camaro today by welding and it was not hard at all. I think Ill do it the right way and weld :smileyb:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Good for you! Don't be afraid to try new things. Just look over the situation first and ask yourself what's the worst that can happen? Is there something that may catch fire? Will something collapse if you cut something out? Then just take it from there.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Take two old sections of your hubbys floor and practice,, do a lap joint, butt joint ect,, try different settings on the welder, wire speed, heat,, see what it does and how it reacts,, then burn yours in,, matty man

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts