El Camino Central Forum banner

Body / Sheet metal welder of choice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get into some body work. A floor pan and some patches in the cab. Also was thinking about cutting off the drip rails and need to weld the seams as I go so the top stays a part of the car :). So the question is MIG or Stick? I am looking at buying a very basic unit since I have no experience, well in 30 years anyway, with welding. Looking for all you welders and your experience with either.
Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
When you buy a mig welder.. do NOT get the flux core welder. Get the one that requires a bottle of gas. It makes a cleaner weld. I prefer tig welding on easily accessed surfaces. More concentrated puddle and still cleaner weld with no splatter.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you buy a mig welder.. do NOT get the flux core welder. Get the one that requires a bottle of gas. It makes a cleaner weld. I prefer tig welding on easily accessed surfaces. More concentrated puddle and still cleaner weld with no splatter.
I appreciate that information. I think a TIG is out of my price range. The work I am doing on the 81 is the only thing I will be using it for so I do not need anything extravagent

·
Deputy Director Site Contributor
1,455 Posts
X2 with Jarhead. If TIG is out of your $$ range than Mig is the next best thing.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
mig in Corvalis

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/tls/4558881663.html. aaron.. this is a Harbor Freight gas welder with tank and everything. In Corvalis.. for $250. That's a pretty good deal. My HF flux core mig has lasted 6 yrs so far. Not bad for $99. I use it all the time too.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
For less than $250 (it's negotiable) I think that's a great deal. A full tank of argon, heavy duty cord, and an auto-darkening helmet! You gotta go for this deal.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Being a welder as part of the way i make a living if you cant do tig then definitely a mig with gas and as for flux core you can use that with a gas over shield it will help insure a good clean weld.
For the welding unit the harbor freight ones ar not to bad for body work if you are looking at used equipment stay away from the models that have preset amprage they are a real pain in the tail for beginers to weld with because for most people they run to hot or to cold and you will have a lot of problums caused by that.
As for voltage and amprage a 220v units have longer duty cycles over the 110v units so you can weld longer without over heating the welder.
Al so remember short skip welds will cause a lot less worping when you are finished.
Good luck on your project have fun and take your time the skip weld will take time but in the end you will have a lot less filler to add to get your body work straight.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
I have all three ,Tig,Mig,oxy/acetylene and for sheet metal the way to go is mig,at least IMHO . I use Argon/Co/2 mix and thats the best for mig gas welding but I recently tried some flux core for the sheet metal stud install for a friend . I have also done some test sheet metal work with the flux core and find it to be a very in-expensive way to get the job done. Is it as good as gas,no ,but very adequate ,and a lot cheaper than buying gas. I have really been impressed by the little mig machine .I picked up a Smarter Tools 135A ,20-135 amp ,110 volt machine and have welded up to 1/4 " mild steel with no problem. The fact that you can plug it in to 110 volt is a plus for me as my Tig/Stick machine is 220 and weighs about 600 lbs .. If I had to go buy a new one tomorrow I would probably buy another 110 volt machine and it would be either a Smarter Tools or Hobart . It would definitely be a gas/flux core machine. Hope this helps some for you. WP:nanawrench:

'

1 - 14 of 14 Posts