El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing timing chain/gears replacement and plan on doing cam and lifters at the same time. What's a middle of the road cam you guys are using to just warm up your 305s? It's my daily driver but a little bit of lope at idle and a few more ponies wouldn't bother me.:beer:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey Whiskey , I wouldn't go no higher a lift than like a Comp Cam 262 for tork or a 268 Comp Cam kit ... just my .02 cents ...

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I have an Edelbrock Performer cam & lifters, #2102. It has a slight lope at idle and will idle at 800 RPM in Drive. Oh, it's a 305 V8.

Jack

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks boys

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Here's my opinion for what its worth....If the cam you have is not goofed up, I'd not risk the engine by replacing the flat lifter cam with another one. Due to todays oil the likelihood of cam failure (and consequently engine failure) during breakin is much higher than it used to be so, If I were going to do a cam swap, I'd only do so for a roller setup. And to be honest, thats a costly thing to do, so is a 305 worth it....not so much for me. If the only issue you have with the engine you have is the timing chain and gears, thats all I would change....sorry Dan.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
There are additives to compensate for todays oil chemistry, and to assist with break-in for a cam.

for a cam, stay in the 440-468 lift range with 250-270 duration.

:poke:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the early hp cam in the 305 was a 300 hp 350 cam. the same cam the early l 69 motors used as well as the corvettesmelling and a couple other companies make them but which ever you choose stay small with a wide lobe seperation angle. all non l 69 motors were only 8 or 8.5 to 1. an cam with a lot of duration or narrow lobe seperation angle will bleed off too much compresion.never go past [email protected] .050 on a stock 305

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
There are additives to compensate for todays oil chemistry, and to assist with break-in for a cam.

for a cam, stay in the 440-468 lift range with 250-270 duration.

:poke:
You're right about the additives but I stand by my comment about changinga flat tappet cam when there are roller cams and lifters available, why take the chance plus you can end up with a better profile with rollers to help the poor little 305...it's just costly and I question if it's worth it on an ok running 305....Dan

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
THIS IS WHAT I'M USING FOR MY BREAK-IN

·
Registered
4,112 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
exactly correct what you want is an 80 s style rv cam, short duration,small overlap cam that trapped more compression in the cylenders

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
exactly correct what you want is an 80 s style rv cam, short duration,small overlap cam that trapped more compression in the cylenders
Right, or a roller cam with a steep ramp and then slam the valves closed with minimal overlap but keep the valves open a lot longer than with a flat tappet, it's how car makers are getting the hp numbers they are now-a-days. Old cams belong in museums, time moves on and so does technology....Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts