El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any of our military branches or DOD ever had fleets of crucks? I don't recall seeing any, but it seems reasonable that some may have been used. Color would have been OD 31(official olive drab paint code)

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,539 Posts
According to these stories, the answer is yes, apparently the USAF used some in Vietnam:

Rick Schaefer writes:
"While at U-Tapao Air Base, Thailand (Sept. 1972 - Sept. 1973) [during the Vietnam war], there was a U-2 reconnaissance outfit stationed there also. The U-2 used outrigger wheels at the end of each wing while taxiing and taking off. Once the U-2 got enough speed, the wings developed lift, rose and then the outrigger wheels dropped off.
When it came time to land, the ground crew would run down the runway in a 1968 SS-396 El Camino to "catch" the wing tip before it lost lift and fell to the ground. I think, but I am not sure any more, that someone rode in the bed and secured the wing tip to the elky as the plane and El Camino slowed. At the end of the runway they would stop, replace the outriggers, and use the elky to tow the plane back to a hanger. I do remember that the El Camino was a well worn SS and that it took an amazing amount of co-ordination to recover the aircraft."

Guy Pegues writes:
"I remember watching an El Camino many times while at U-Tapao in '70 and '71. Strange watching an Air Force blue 69 SS race down the runway picking up training wheels!".

Don wites:
"My understanding is there were three of them. They were 350 horse, Turbo Hydramatics, with power steering. All of the normal black-out SS trim was in place, with painted steel wheels, small hub caps, and blue vinyl bench seat. The tops were white, and the body was actually painted USAF blue. All of the normal under-hood chrome was in place.

The U-2 only has fuselage landing gear. The outriggers (pogos) you saw
are placed in pockets for ground usage and drop out when the wings have enough lift. Chase vehicles (pick ups) come in from either side and the wings rest on them until the pogos can be installed. U-2 pilots cannot see out of the canopy when they are on the ground, at least not what they need to see while taxiing. There is a periscope that looks forward, beneath the nose and that is what they look through. The El Caminos (now using Camaros) had all of the radio gear that was needed to communicate with the pilot.
If you ever imagined that the engine compartment was full, you should have seen it with two batteries, a humongous alternator, a/c compressor for the Kyzer roof unit, etc. Oh, no power brakes. I'm not so sure about the power steering thing, right now. It may not have had it.
I have a couple of pictures, but they're black and white. I had to keep it clean and ready for use, but got to drive it to fuel it and such. I was stationed on Taiwan at that time, and didn't go to 'Nam until '69. We were based at Bien Hoa."

This was found at http://www.chevelles.com/elcamino/ec_story.htm

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I know Oklahoma national guard had some of the Dodge rampage mini trucks when government bailed out Chrysler, but I have not seen any ELKY

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rushgator, that sounds like a dangerous and tricky maneuver! I am trying to search out some video of that. If I can find any more about that runway Elky deal I will share it. Thanks for your reply.
James:dontknow:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey James, There was a Police Department in Northern New Jersey that exclusively used El Caminos & Caballeros as Patrol cars & Speeder cruiser/chasers. I want to say about,... late 70's thru mid 80's. All were painted the color of that Police Agency's color scheme, and were supposedly made with a factory ordered 'Police Package'. I'd love to get my hands on 1 or 2 of them,.. eh? - George :smileyb:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
George, I was a police officer in northern joysey from 68-73 (Parsippany-Troy Hills township in Morris county). I don't remember seeing any in my travels. They would be great for services division for transporting eqipment or in speed traps. I have no doubt that they were used for LE work.:dontknow:

Reactions: elkper1771

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'll have to ask exactly where it was,..

Yes James, I'm retired NYPD and we'd hear about this Dept. from the Staten Island cops. I want to say a ritzy Township, perhaps to the west. Exactly where in Joisey,.. I'll have to ask again. I don't think they started using them 'til 80 or 81, but understand they had a decent size fleet. See ya' Bro!. - George :smileyb:

George, I was a police officer in northern joysey from 68-73 (Parsippany-Troy Hills township in Morris county). I don't remember seeing any in my travels. They would be great for services division for transporting eqipment or in speed traps. I have no doubt that they were used for LE work.:dontknow:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have quite a few buds retired from NYPD and Nassau county. A few are dragracers I met racing over the year others are members of my Marine Corps League detachment. Florida is loaded with former cops anf fire fighters from thr north.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah Man,

Yes Sir,.. I know it,.. half of my old squad bought a whole neighborhood block in central Fla. The only reason we didn't relocate there, had kids that still had to finish HS. Myrtle Beach was top rated (at that time). Nassau & Suffolk guys always had hot cars, most were Camino enthusiasts also. Sold my old '80 Camino to a Detective in the Bronx. Small world,... - George

I have quite a few buds retired from NYPD and Nassau county. A few are dragracers I met racing over the year others are members of my Marine Corps League detachment. Florida is loaded with former cops anf fire fighters from thr north.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts