El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,142 Posts
Do the starter and the fly wheel need to have matching teeth? If that is a thing, maybe the teeth are not messing correctly. Might be something to rule out. I have never used anything but the factory correct starter.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I also added an entire Dorman shim kit, which is about .200 worth of shims, with absolutely no help.

So I don't think shimming is the issue..

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a RAM 153 tooth flywheel wheel. The starters says to be a 153 tooth starter.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
The voltage for the solenoid while cranking is 11.31.

The voltage for the starter motor while cranking is 11.29

Excellent!! IIRC, spec for my Powermaster was about 9V while cranking.

Just one more question: Are you measuring voltage at the STUDS to include any voltage drop at the terminals?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yep! At the studs. There is virtually no voltage drop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep, everyone is saying it here and it's right. It's an adjustment problem. No question. After running you get expansion too so that explains it happening after driving. I had the exact issue with a chevy motor (for which there really are only 2 starters; big and small ring gear) and it needed some shimming (and different thicknesses on each side) to get it sweet. Just a little time and patience needed. You won't fry the starter, but the constant grinding will obviously screw the gears up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the exact same issue with my first mini starter - and after a while it finally wouldn't start - just grind. After a while of the grinding sometimes and starting sometimes - the gears get ground down. Turns out - my flex plate was on backwards - turned it around and solved the problem.

I also run an external solenoid and have heat wrap around mine because it's tight near the headers.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Matteo

Didn't you change over to a 4 spd a while ago? Was the flywheel new or used?
It may be worth a look to remove the transmission and look for loose mounting bolts or ring gear.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes, I changed over about two years ago. The flexplate was new upon installation---everything was purchased brand new.

It wouldn't be like me to install it backwards, especially since there was a big "CLUTCH SIDE" sticker on it. But hell, who knows.

I've had this transmission out maybe 10 times since initial install. I'd rather not pull it out again..

How long does a clutch last? If I'm pulling I'm replacing parts.

PS IM STILL HAVING GRIND ISSUES (kill me)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I do have a mini starter.

The stock starter blew the aluminum nose casting clean off when I still had a PG

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Still fighting it. There is a very new thread on my continuing trouble with this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just dealt with the same thing a few months ago. I will tell you those that have the Gear that extends out without the support shaft type and without the shrouded area pretty much suck IMO. I had a ProForm which is the same architecture. Think not having the shaft and shroud makes the gear, when it extends, flex and wears the bearings out.. not very strong.. ...Grind? Therefore it also only lasted a year and a half and I don't drive but maybe 5000 miles at best per year. Had it tested and it showed it was fine but installed it would not turn the engine over and when trying you could smell the windings burning binding it up. Shimmed until I was blue and nothing... Actually bought the OReilly Stock style mini starter Utlima Brand .. It was for a 94 Chevy C1500 Old Small block engine part. Just bolted it up and perfect no grind .. Yahoo! So much better than those other types! It is clocked fine for Long Tube headers too!

A little over a year ago I bought a powermaster 9100 to replace my stock starter.

Since the day I bought it, 50% of start ups it would grind against the flywheel without turning over. I installed a supplied 1/32 shim but it made no difference. So I just dealt with it.

A week ago I installed another 1/32 shim, hoping to rid the grinding. Instead, a few days later my starter cranked slower and slower, until the motor went out. (Did I do that?)

So yesterday I bought another powermaster 9100 starter and this one grinds too! Annoying!!

Before I shim this one I want to know if it'll fry it by doing so. Any thoughts?

Has anyone fixed this issue before?

Thank you

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts