El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting another starter in my '66, has a 350/290hp crate motor with long tube headers.

The CHEAP mini-starter I put in seems to be rattling a bit after the solenoid disengages at startup. The other day it kept rattling, shut off motor and started again and no rattling.

I'm gonna put car up on stands today and check things out, but I've never liked how that starter sounded.:nanawrench:

SO, looking for advice/recommendations for a better starter....:???:

Suggestions?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I really like the permanent magnet gear reduction starter (pmgr) starter GM used on the 95 LT1 Camaros. I have one on my El Camino and I'm getting ready to put one on my 56 Chevy too.
The starter is smaller than the old style starter but much more powerful like the aftermarket mini-starters are.
I got mine at a place online called www.dbelectrical.com. They are guaranteed for a year and they sell them much cheaper than you would buy at a GM dealership. I think they are around $60. They even ship them free sometimes too.
I don't work for them, I'm just real happy with their product and price!
A guy on Chevytalk recommended that starter to me about 5 years ago and I've used it ever since without a problem.
This starter will work if your starter has the mounting bolts that are straight across from each other. If yours uses the staggerd bolt pattern you'd need to get the one for the pickup instead which used a bigger flywheel/flexplate. Its the same starter but different bolt pattern.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,314 Posts
X2 on Skip White parts !! I have bought stuff from him !! Never disappointed from any parts I bought from him !!
GREAT PARTS AT GREAT PRICES !! :bigups::bigups:
Check his website !!
http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/

G

·
He also has a youtube page where he built a 383 from all his parts. His 383 sounds mean and runs like a champ!

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just checked out the Skip White site and read his writeup on starters. Like what I see, think I will order one of his starters. I like that they come with shims for adjusting the gap between the starter gear and flexplate. Needed that on my current mini-starter, but had to go find one at a local shop - didn't come with the new starter I bought previously.

Thanks for the recommendations...:nanawrench:

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
placed my order

Spoke to Al, technical support and he was great. He explained the shims used to provide extra clearance between starter gear and flexplate. My old starter needed shims, but it appears that wasn't done right the first time around, which explains some of the rattling I've heard from day one. (hope my flexplate hasn't been damaged)

So, just ordered a new starter from Skip White, 3hp, only $75 including shipping, cannot beat that deal AND lifetime warranty.:beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,314 Posts
Glad they took care of you !!:beer:
People need to add him to there Favorites !!
Make sure you check his 60% off specials !!

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,921 Posts
John , Good choice on the starter . While you are underneath the Camino , I would recommend you add a heat/reflective blanket to help keep some of the heat off the starter . They`re cheap and easy to install .

G

·
Good idea Lenny,
Previous starter needed shim to back off the flexplate a bit, so I'm anticipating possibly removing this starter once or twice until set right.

Can heat shield be slipped on once I'm sure I got the right combo of shims in place?
Since you had shimming issues,the first install with 2 shims should be it. Not sure about the heat shield since Ive never had one.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the new Skip White starter installed today. Went in like a dream, no shims required, quieter than the previous starter (rattling). First mini-starter required shims to move the starter gear away from the flexplate. New starter had better clearance to flexplate with NO shims.

Very happy so far :nanawrench:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts