·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The left outside mirror on my baby is loose. It is controled via a cable
and the cable is tight were it connects to the joy stick. It will not stay
were I want it to be, it just kind of wiggles and evertime I close the
door it gets out of alignment.
Is there a way to tighten this mirror in the housing?

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
I guess we're talking about a "sport" mirror here right?

I wanted to take one apart before I replied!

Good news, it fixable..but you may have to remove the door panel to be able to pull it off to adjust the base screws...all depends on how much play you have.

There should be a set screw (for lack of a better word) on the edge of the arm holding the mirror housing. Remove that screw and the arm should lift off the base attached to the door. If you have enough play, there are two screws at the base of the housing (thru the arm) the you can tighten...

Let us know how it goes....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the imfo. My son and I are going to repaint the interior
over the 4th weekend and I will have the panels off then. I will
try to fix the "sport" mirror at that time. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Banned
881 Posts
PADEMAMA said:
Is there a way to tighten this mirror in the housing?
Welcome to ECC PADEMAMA!

There are three cables holding the mirror to the joystick and there's a captive spring in the joystick to keep the tension on the cables. It's normal for the cables to stretch with use. That's why the GM engineers put in the captive spring. It's there to pick up the slack and keep tension on the cables. When the spring no longer has enough force to do this, or if a cable breaks, the mirror will wiggle as you've described. There is no way, other than the captive spring, to take up the slack in the cable. I think it's time for a new mirror.

The screws that 87SS is describing are only the housing mounting screws and will not help fix your mirror wiggle. Sorry Peter.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ernie, I was afraid that I would have to replace the mirror. However I am going to mess with the spring you mention and see if I can remove some of the slack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts