El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible that an improperly installed (seated) engine could create electrical issues? Something a friend suggested about my dad's 86 EC recently.

The vehicle spent a lot of time in shops in the last few years it was regularly driven. Thousands were poured into it but it never ran right, always seemed to have trouble turning over. Twice it had to be jumpstarted on its way out of the garage's yard. If he'd been well, my dad could've worked on it himself but his car fixin days were long over.

Anyways, the vehicle can't keep a charge (outside the fact that we don't start it up on a regular basis). A brief jump and it fires up but the charge doesn't hold. :cruch: I'm sure - or hoping - there's a basic reason for this that won't cost thousands more (that we don't have) to fix. :dontknow:

(If I could post a "Wanted" ad, it'd be for a Camino guru to come and give this poor neglected vehicle a once over.:new_puppy_dog_eyes:)

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Improper grounds fromengine to chassis can definitely aggrivate things. I like doubling up on some things, like extra ground engine to frame, battery to frame. Another common ailment can be a deteorated wire from alternator output to wiring harness.
However, a vehicle that sits up a lot should have a trickle charger used to keep battery maintained. The alternators primary job is to maintain battery, not charge a dead one.
I,d first check to see that alternator is putting out approx 14.4 volts to battery when running.. Also, I,d have battery load tested after properly being charged & make sure it is a large enough capacity model.
Problems like you describe can be from multiple causes & can give a good vehicle a bad name if not tackled correctly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
X2 on the load test for the battery and check that the ground strap from the engine to the frame is connected or there!!!
suks2bu37

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine had a very similar problem when I bought it recently. Needed a jump-start every morning but then would run and start fine for the rest of the day, but once it sat overnight the battery would go flat and need a jump again. Checked all grounds and they were fine. After the third day of needing a jump (and being late for work again), I pulled the battery from a donor s10 I had in the driveway and popped it in and have never had a problem since. Was a very simple fix for me, but ymmv......

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
a couple simple checks. take a digital volt meter.with the car running check from the neg battery to big terminal on the alt then the pos terminal on the batt,should be the same.then from the pos post on batt. to the engine block then to the neg post on the batt. should be the same. if not check the cables. the system should maintane 13.6 to 14.2 while running.if your 86 has a cs alt like mine it needs power to the small brown wire in the 4 wire plug on the back of the alternator to charge. if all of this is good have the battery charged then tested.you cant test a dead battery,it will always show bad.charge at least 1 hour before testing.if good leave the cables off to see if it drains down on its own.if it doesnt you have a drain in the car. my 83 malibu did the same thing a year ago and it turned out to be the starter.it would crank fine but wouldnt start.when you jumped it it would fire right up.turned out the starter was taking so much to turn it over there wasnt enough to fire the coil..and do the simple maintanance first remove and clean the cables and battery, also some alarms will drain the battery over time. depending on how long you leave it sit. the alarms i use will kill the battery in 6 weeks. i hope this helps

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not sure your expertise, but if it is not high, you can take your cruck into any battery store (such as Interstate Batteries) and they can do quite a number of tests really quickly on your battery and charging system, usually for free (they want to sell you a new battery). I would do this first, regardless. Then may indeed get a new battery as this would take this component out of question in what is causing the trouble.

Keep us informed.

And I am WAAAYYY known and Mister Ground and say add additional grounds and more grounds! Always you do not have enough, and those you do have are bad :let_it_all_out: Diod I mention you need to check all your grounds???

Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts