El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I had the unfortunate luck of losing my transmission on the way to Belton last weekend, which is why I ended up missing the event. I'm not sure what hurts more: missing the Rally or having a Camino out of commission.

At any rate, I'm now trying to figure out what I can do to get it back on the road. I have no experience with transmissions, and I can't currently afford the rebuild on mine. So it looks like my options are finding a replacement or parking it until I can scrape the money together for a rebuild.

Does anyone around here know where I can get a new or rebuilt transmission for a decent price? I currently have a 700R4 to match a 350 Fastburn (385 HP). I'd like to go back with something similar, but I'm definitely open to suggestions. Heck, I even looked into converting to a manual thinking it would be a cheaper option (of course it's not).

I appreciate all of the help you guys provide on a daily basis, and thank you for taking the time to read my sob story.

Much obliged,

-Steffen

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear you missed it. What part of the area where you in when you lost the trans? We woulda come got ya.
A 350 trans is cheaper to get and build but it's no the best on gas without an overdrive. If I were you,I'd pick up a used 350 from a good salvage yard for cheap and ride while you save for the 700r rebuild.:texas:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have a th200c I just took out of my Elky I will sell you for $40.00. Depending on where you live, I could meet you half way too. If you would like to buy it for a temp fix let me know. If not, good luck finding something.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey Steffen , try looking on Craigs List under Chevrolet Performance Parts in different cities and see what pops up , we missed ya Bro , see ya next year ... Thanks the Geezer :nanawrench:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, fellas.

Steel, I was in between New Braunfels and San Marcos when I lost half my gears, so it would have been 100 miles or so for you guys to pick me up. I ended up just limping home in 2nd as opposed to risking getting stranded. Thanks for the thought, though.

Zerberfert, I'm actually in Houston so it wouldn't be hard to meet up. While I'm not crazy about swapping the transmission twice, that may be my best option. I'll send you a PM if I end up deciding on that.

Geezer, thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. And, trust me, I missed y'all as well. I was really looking forward to the Rally, and it was heart breaking to miss it.

Thanks again,

-Steffen

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Better be glad you wern't coming our way, Ever been towed by a chain at 80!!!:poke:
Sad you missed it
Donny

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
look at your local recking yards for a truck 700 .stay away from the early ones.use the 88 and newer one. can be between 3 /500$ for a used one. it sounds like you lost the 3/4 clutch pack.comon on stock 700 s behind a big hp motor. its a shame your not a little closer .i have a couple laying around but would cost a fortune to ship to tx. look for a large upside down u shaped casting mark on the case around the cooler line area,thas the easiest way to spot the later trans.up to 93 out of a truck is usually a good starting point for a performance trans

1 - 8 of 8 Posts