El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my problem is a fuel mixture issue. The car sounds like it's starving, but I can't find the issue.

The car is a '78 with a '76 vette 350, Rochester quadhet carbs. It turns over and fires up like normal. Idle is slightly lower than normal but barely. If you sit with the tranny in park or neutral and rev the engine it all sounds good. However when you put it in drive (any gear) and give it some gas it starts missing on more than one cylinder. If I keep the throttle bellow ~20% which is just enough to take off from lights and not upset people about driving too slow, it will run fine. As soon as it's given some gas, be it when I'm on two barrels or when I go WOT it starts missing on cylinders and struggling to push forward. If I let off the throttle it goes back to normal.

This started happening about a week ago, I immediately replaced the fuel filter, didn't help. Ran without the air filter without help also. I checked the volts on all the spark plug connectors and they are fine. I'm having one heck of a time taking out the spark plugs to check compression. However it does smell like it's burning oil or coolant and there is no smoke so I'm feeling the cylinder heads and gaskets are intact.

Now I do have a coolant leak in my radiator, about 1/6th the way down from the top. I've tried to patch it but I'm going to just replace the whole radiator. I keep it fuel of coolant though, and it only leaks out till it gets to that mark, which is still plenty of coolant, but I do refill it daily till I can get a new radiator. Just haven't had the time and didn't discover the leak until I was tracking down this issue. I don't think that it's related at all though.

Timing was also correct, right at 10 degrees.

I'm thinking my next move might be to take apart the carburetor and see if the jets are clogged.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
when was the last time you changed the plugs?? how long has it sat without driving it????
todays fuel doesnt like to sit for long periods of time , wires cap ect all good i assume??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when was the last time you changed the plugs?? how long has it sat without driving it????
todays fuel doesnt like to sit for long periods of time , wires cap ect all good i assume??
The plugs haven't been changed in probably 3-4 years. I can't remember so I guess that's a bad sign. It's my daily so it never sits for more than a day or so. I fill up about once a week. Everything looks good as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changing the plugs did the trick. It's running wonderful now. Sounds great and performance, man didn't know what I was missing!

Thanks for the advice on the plugs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts