El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. Got a new-to-me 64 El Camino with a 289. Have intermittent smoke coming through the heater vent.

Did a little tracing and I think the smoke is coming from the rear of the engine, just under the distributor. There's an outlet there where smoke billow out. I cannot find any obvious disconnected hose dangling in the engine bay. I think the smoke is getting sucked through the heater core cover, PO had RTV'd all around it. Kind of broke down from the heat over the years.

What is this open outlet beneath the distributor? And where should it be routed?

( please bear with me...new to V8s)

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
That's called a road draft tube. Old school pcv. It's supposed to have a tube that runs down to the bottom of the engine.

Sounds like you have some blow-by. Get a pcv valve in a valve cover and hook up to air cleaner and plug that one off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After a little poking around...looks like the Holley carb has a PCV port.

So, I can block off the road draft tube like you mentioned. And if I'm thinking correctly, I can change the breather on the valve cover to a PCV valve type and route it to the carb instead of the air cleaner....?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, thanks guys. The car idles better, and no longer has noxious fumes entering the cab.

Ended up running a PCV hose from the tube outlet with an inline PCV valve to the PCV port on the carb.

Already has a breather on the valve cover.

So I think I'm good. 8)

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Sounds like you got it. Glad to help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts