• Call a lawer

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok starting a poll about when my 69 will be done with her paint job.

Working on 6 months now.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Guess I haven't been following the story. Is it at a shop or are you doing it?

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Sean don't go show him your newest. Then he won't be in any hurry for sure.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Sean, like we discuused, body shop guys never finish on time. That only happens on those TV reality shows with guys like Foose and "Overhaulin". The guy that had my car for more than a year nearly put me in the nuthouse.
The problem is you can't rush them and bust their stones if you ever hope to have a nice finished product. Every time a new car arrived at the shop my car went deeper into the corner. It was really aggravating.
You said the guy was good and slow. That is better than lousy but fast! If you haven't screamed at him so far you will be better off. Now that you have Ginger to occupy your time and interest it should be easier to wait it out.
How often do you stop by his shop to check out the progress?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yesterday was the 1st time I went by there since I got Ginger.

Not much change since the last time I was there.

He says he will be ready to start spraying next week or so but I've heard that before.

And yes, I'm still being very nice to him. He has my car.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
A few things you should never do at a body shop;
tell them take your time
pay for anything in advance
not give them a deadline

What normally happens is they figure it's a classic. You don't drive it everyday. You have other transportation. They didn't charge you enough. The insurance companies are dictating their schedule. It becomes "filler" work when they have nothing else to do. Workers avoid it like the plague because it feels like punishment. Their reward for working well and getting the cars out, go work on that old one over there. They feel like they'll never finish it and they start to hate it.

So anyone bringing there classic to shop tell them when you want it back. Give them enough time. Say a month to six weeks. Expect to pay a fair price plus because you do want it perfect and you do expect it to be worked on just like every other car there.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
At one point the paint shop had mine longer than I had:let_it_all_out:
I would go up once a week and take pics (didn't help the speed process!!)
When all was said and done I was happier than they were. They under bid.
It's hard to wait though!!!
Good luck

·
Registered
397 Posts
Sean,

Maybe I missed this in another post but am wondering why you are having Misty repainted. She looks great in the pics posted to your photo alblum (granted I was focused on your grill at the time I looked).
Given the current price of paint jobs, am just a little curious.

Fred

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason for the paint, it was about a 12-14 y.o. repaint that was done in a driveway.

No gloss, wax and polish wouldnt help. "Stuff" in paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts