El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford came out with their Maverick today and it's actually a good bit smaller then their Ranger, actually basically the same length as our 5th gens. Plus it's under $20k for the base model. I'm not a huge Ford guy but thought it was pretty cool regardless.

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
It's a new style. It looks good, but I don't like 4 doors. I just can't do a new one now.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Ford came out with their Maverick today and it's actually a good bit smaller then their Ranger, actually basically the same length as our 5th gens. Plus it's under $20k for the base model. I'm not a huge Ford guy but thought it was pretty cool regardless.
AND you can get it as a front wheel drive hybrid!1500lbs, 2000lb tow, making templates available so you can make your own accessories with a 3d printer, estimated 40mpg.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AND you can get it as a front wheel drive hybrid!1500lbs, 2000lb tow, making templates available so you can make your own accessories with a 3d printer, estimated 40mpg.
It's pretty slow with the hybrid, like 8 second range 0-60 but 40mpg is a pretty sweet trade off for that.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,673 Posts
Interesting. Well see if the market responds positively. And then, if it does, we'll see what GM does in response.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,742 Posts
🖕🖕thanks Ford, there’s another worthless vehicle brought back from the grave like the bronco!

chevy is responding with the electric hummer just as stupid!

looks like a good Barbie car

·
Premium Member
4,810 Posts
It is hard to accept a truck bed that will not hold a bike with the tailgate up.
Why does Ford think a 4 door is needed?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think a small 2 door truck is a bit of a pipe dream at this point and this one is clearly marketed towards the consumer instead of fleet sales so the 4 doors makes sense to a degree, though I prefer 2 doors myself. I give them credit for at least trying to make a small truck unlike GM and Chrysler

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Anything with two doors is a limited market. I think the cost of cars and the rise of child seats have forced anyone who might haul more than one passenger to accept four doors. Before child seats and seat belts, ‘Dad’ could roll up to practice or the movie theater and swing open one long door on his C10, Camino, Grand Prix or Firebird and let three, four, six kids climb in. Look at how many platforms that offered both two and four doors eventually dropped the two door: GM and Ford big cars, all the mid sized cars, Tahoes, trucks of all sizes, Honda Accord…the list is long because buyers chose ‘more practical’.
Patrick

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Anything with two doors is a limited market.
I'd have to agree. for the few dollars more, you're getting a whole extra seating row. the only exception I see to the rule is delivery drivers. I work weekends delivering auto parts to commercial customers with a jumper seat row Colorado. sometimes we haul engines in the bed, other times it's small stuff like spark plugs, filters, brake pads, sealed hoses, etc. That goes in the cab due to weather, theft, etc

·
Registered
603 Posts
Like JKcamino said: yep! exactly! IDK i'm old school, whether it be a compact or full size i like the old rugged useful look. if Ford, chevy, etc. want to go retro/or not, this style would be for me. i know the next best is the Gladiator but i dont need all the bling

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,081 Posts
Who knows maybe they will make a 2 door version and call it the Pinto. Or Mustang II

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd say that if manufacturers are going to dig up old model names from the grave, at least Ford is trying to do something cool with them. The "Mustang" Mach-E is a pretty cool idea even if it really shouldn't be a Mustang. Same goes with the Ford Lightning. Better than what GM is doing with their new Blazer, which is just another worthless econobox.

·
Registered
86 El Camino SS. 305 with 200-4r overdrive trans.
6 Posts
Ford finally decided to build a competitor to the Honda Ridgeline, which is just about as useless for anything you would use a pickup truck for as you can get. Front-wheel drive is not reliable in heavy duty applications, so don't expect it to last if you tow (not to mention being too difficult for home mechanics to work on). IF Ford would come out with a Ranger EV or hybrid that was a rear-wheel drive based 4x4, we would trade my wife's oil burning Subaru for it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Ford finally decided to build a competitor to the Honda Ridgeline, which is just about as useless for anything you would use a pickup truck for as you can get. Front-wheel drive is not reliable in heavy duty applications, so don't expect it to last if you tow (not to mention being too difficult for home mechanics to work on). IF Ford would come out with a Ranger EV or hybrid that was a rear-wheel drive based 4x4, we would trade my wife's oil burning Subaru for it in a heartbeat.
they are going to make an AWD version but apparently that will be gas only, not electric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts