El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting ECC.

I tried to get by summer without taking on this project but the southern temps and even farther distances I have been having to drive makes it an undertaking worth immediate attention. I have a 350 vortec out of 98 Tahoe. With this motor came the relocation of my Air Compressor. While at the bone yard grabbing a set of dual piston brakes from an 03 blazer, I also grabbed the condensor and the a/c hoses. Everything buttoned up until I put the hood on the car. I was wondering what options do I have in modifying the A/C hose that goes into the compressor? Can a hose shop fabricate a modified end using my current hoses?

Here a few pictures.

Top of Compressor which will be replaced before becoming totally functional

Pardon my ignorance but what purpose does the barrel of this hose serve?

Thanks in advance ECC

Marvin

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may not have made it clear but my issue is clearance. When I put the hood on, it would not close due to coming into contact with the a/c hose going into the compressor. I was tempted to bend it but felt I would have to bend so much that the integrity of the hose would be compromised.

·
Supporting Member
4,499 Posts
The can is a muffler I believe. As for bending the hoses, I've bent mine before a small amount. Just be careful, I think they are aluminum. You may also be able to clearance the hood if it is the brace that is interfering. Lastly, a local AC shop should be able to make up hoses for you.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
A true ac shop can make new hoses as needed. The ends can be cut & tig welded if needed while hoses are not attached.

If just bending the fittings will work, you just need to bend them gently along the length of the aluminum section rather than forcing one area till it kinks.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Ditto the above. After my engine swap, local AC shop made up new hoses the correct length. And I gently rebent the aluminum line a little for clearance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts