El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a bracket on my right fender liner that has 2 electronic modules mounted to it. Can anyone tell me what those two modules are? I'm trying to remove all the computer stuff, but I don't want to pull out something controlling something crucial, like the cruise control.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
De-computerized all my cars....don't remember, and have nothing to refer to.. How 'bout a pic?

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
I believe the one with the 4 or 5 wires is the spark control mod.I'd have to look at the other later.
Robert

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the bracket and the 3 (not 2) modules. Two of them are completely tied into the ECM. The third one, closest to the engine, seems to have a tie into the ECM, but also into the heat and a/c system.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
the visible rectangular one is the MAP...
the one on its side with the terminals exposed is the EST module...
can't identify the hidden one...
looks like the wiring harness to ECM is cut already...

·
Registered
302 Posts
In that group of wires is a small purple wire coming from the lower right fender well. This wire is the one that goes to the brake switch for the trans lock up and can be used to unlock the converter with a lock up kit. Save this wire for future use.

dave

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I cut the harness. I did it in a way that could probably be undone, if someone wanted to use the ECM and harness in another car.

I pulled out the wiring and plug for the lock up.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I do believe that a baro was on that model year, yes...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I removed the first two modules; they are various computer control modules.

However, the 3rd module has wires going into the A/C and one heading around to the back of the engine. In doing some on-line research, it looks like it might be part of the circuit to raise the idle when the A/C is on, and it may be related to turning on the choke.

It has the number 14078924 on it. Five wires. A light green one goes into the A/C harness, it looks like, and a brown one goes toward the distributor, etc., harness. Any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I saw that thread. But I found others, elsewhere, that mentioned a choke component, too. Don't want to disable the choke (although I know a way to wire around it).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I bravely cut out the last module...and the cruise control no longer works. Anybody have a 1986 cruise control wiring diagram?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts