El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well did anyone watch it? I taped it and will be watching it tonight. I saw the very begining and the very end. I for one was quite disgusted. That was a perfectly fine Elky,not exactly a POS parts runner that someone said it would be on the Monster Garage message board. I saw up to the part where he pulled it into the garage and couldn't open the door,then tried to justify what he was about to do by saying,"the guy told me it was cherry". So then I guess it's ok to cut it up right? Then I saw the end where it was being towed off and looked nothing like it use to(i.e. no way of ever bringing it back).

To me it seemed senceless. Couldn't they have used some other full size Chevy like an older Caprice. What a complete waste. All I gotta say is,if your trying to make a show to appeal to gearheads,then why the hell would you insult them buy destroying what they like? However thier feelings are that it's "cool" to do this to an american car. I for one don't think it's cool.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I Agree

I watched them do the distruction of the SS last night, they did not even do much to save the good parts. In the end they did have to sell some of the parts to fix the cost over runs. They could have used a Cady or a Caprice and had just as good a figure 8 car. I think this was just a way to draw attention to the show and it looks like it worked. We have a lot of El Camino's in this part of the country and many are still daily drivers. I see 2 or three on the road every day around here and some are still seen on used car lots.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I love elcamino's- But to me the problem wasn't weather to wreck an elcamino, or another car- the problem i have is they wrecked a REALLY NICE ONE.... an SS 396(402) car- it Had the SS Guage package (i saw it as they RIPPED IT out of the car) They paid $8500 for it at the beginning of the episode. It WAS a very decent, nice car at the beininng.

WHY gut & Wreck a nice valuable old car? Shock value is all. They knew it would Piss off every old car guy regardless of what kind of car they like. They could have used a rusty base model- but it wouldn't have forced everyone to watch as much as gutting a really nice looking one....

Figure 8 racers and demolition derby cars are usually made from really crappy cars for the exact reason, the builders and racers can't spend much on a car they know they are gonna wreck.

It makes me mad that they wrecked a NICE valuable car purely for shock value. If it had been a plain Elky with various rust and stuff on it- It would have annoyed me- but Not nearly as wrecking a really nice car.

Its their car and they can do what they want with it- But it is a crime to waste a really nice car that way... Just like its a waste when someone lets it rot away in their driveway- The only difference is the one in the driveway could still be saved. When jessie cut out the bed, floor boards, Cut out the hood support, inner doors, and cut out the fender openings- They ruined the car. THere is no putting that one back together or fixing it, or even parting it out. The one sitting in a guys driveway for 15 years could still be saved or at least parted out. The only value left of that poor elcamino is the Engine & tranny. :cry: :evil:

I don't know if i should be more POed at Jesse James, or at Discovery Channel for putting it on. :mad: :evil:

·
Registered
224 Posts
BTW: The dumbass had the drivers door LOCKED at the beginning when he tried to get out- YOu can clearly see the lock lever is down, and on the passenger side when he gets out, that sides lever us up.

·
Registered
481 Posts
AHSOM70, i couldn't agree with you more.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to add that I read this off the Chevelle.com message board:
He[Jesse James] said Elky owners (Classic Car owners?) all hang around the local Burger joint on Wednesday night, discussing their new trim pieces, wearing satin jackets on the back that say "El Camino".
I for one,have never or will never own a satin jacket of any description thank you. Also new trim pieces aren't that interesting to discuss.

·
Registered
105 Posts
An interesting exercise for someone who taped the show (I neither watched nor taped) would be to put together a list of the commercial sponsors of that episode.

While Jessie is only happier the more people he irritates and Discovery doesn't really care one way or the other, a nice, politely-worded letter of concern to at least some of the sponsors may get a message delivered that will be heard (albeit probably as a whiper in a crowded room, but heard).

For example, if Wal-Mart had an ad (I have seen their ads on MG before), a letter expressing how you, a 'long time customer' who has faithfully shopped there because of the company's 'strong commitment to family values' are concerned about the 'message being provided to our youth through shows that perform wantonly destructive acts for mere shock value' by programs they sponsor, and concern that you 'hope it does not represent an erosion in your comany's outstanding social commitment' (the classic veiled threat not to shop there any more), might just get a word of warning from them to Discovery if they got enough of them.

The 'family value' card would work well for WM. Other plays for other sponsors.

Threatening the Benjamins is the only thing they notice. Of course, if it narked Jessie off badly enough without getting Discovery to rein him in he would probably spend the entire next season destroying rare classics, so perhaps the tactic is ill-conceived...

·
Registered
481 Posts
The bad thing is that the damage is already done, no amount of letters can bring that elky back.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I didn't realize what they were going to do when I tuned in...saw the SS and thought wow, nice! I was going to open the web site and tell everyone to watch...then I heard what they planned and watched in horror as they trashed it. Thought about the times someone would love to get a good looking part as they threw in all in a pile like I do with the detritus from the garden. Wish they'd gone to a recycle yard and picked up a discarded beast instead of a good looking runner like that. One less legit ELKY on the road. :x

·
Registered
141 Posts
ya know......i think i lost quite a bit of respect for 'ol jesse....hes the one that outta be wearing a damn "satan jacket", what a goddamn prick!! soits ok to scrap and wreck a perfectly good elky just for his show to look cool? what the [email protected]#k ever!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had to check in and see how many people were pissed at monster garage after they tore up that ss elky. Just think of it this way, it makes all the rest that are left that much more rare. Hollywood doesn't care about old cars. On earlier episodes of monster garage I've seen them tear up an old vette or when they cut up a vintage '60's slingshot dragster to make a hot dog cart. How many Dodge Chargers did they kill for the Dukes of Hazzard? Take heart, Monster Garage will soon be off the air they are running out of ideas. I wish that El Camino would have at least finished the race instead of that idiot wrecking it. Did anybody complain when they cut up a Ranchero?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Maybe someone could get one of jesse's bikes, get a bunch of guys to tear it all apart and make the world's coolest mobile,fully functional port-o-pot out of it. Of course for some reason i'm sure he'd think it'd be cool or worst yet its probably an upcoming episode. Oh yeah the guys tearing up his bike would have to have on satin jackets that said el camino on them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I felt almost physically ill when I saw the on the ads that it was an Elky, and refused to watch it. My 13 year old son watched (and taped it) and has the best line I've heard on the whole sordid affair: "Jesse is SUCH an ******* for doing that to a classic SS El Camino..."

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I watched the tape last night. I guess there are several reasons to be pissed.

1. Someone could have bought it,used it,and loved it.

2. The way they tore it up,they were animals. Anyone see how the very usable SS dash was taken out in pieces,the rear window was heaved on the floor,and the SS hood cut up?

3. Isn't the shows montra "take ORDINARY cars and make them extrordinary"? A limited production car isn't very ordinary is it?

4. Is it just me or isn't the show suppose to keep the cars looking stock but do crazy stuff. Seems to me they are getting further and further away from that.

5. I too was in the mind set that "well it'll just make ours more valuable". I thought about it though afterwards and came to this conclusion. If you have these show killing old cars + goverment laws trying to scrap them as well,pretty soon you won't have much of a supply. Look at the Dodge Chargers. People want super high prices for them even if they are junk cause there isn't many left. Where does that leave the average Joe or the kids? It makes them only accessible to the rich. On a side note I think this is part of the reason why imports are become popular with the kids.

In conclusion I'll say this. Although Jesse is skilled with bikes,I haven't seen anything desireable in the way of cars come out of his shop(i.e. nothing I'd like to own). Any BONEHEAD with a buzz saw and a blow torch can cut up a car and weld in lawn mower blades and whatever. It's a TRUE CRAFTSMAN that can take a rusted,beaten,and broken car and turn it into something that's either just as good or better than what the factory originally produced. Instead of getting mad or pissed about it,give yourselves all a pat on the back for doing that and continuing to do that with these great machines!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just one last thought from me on this as well...
I believe discovery channel takes the "Monsters" and displays them at various shows and stuff after the episode appears on TV.

People keep pointing to the corvette and ranchero that they cut up and saying the elcamino was due...

Yeah, they did cut them up-but they did make cool stuff out of them-
The 4x4 mud bogger corvette was kind of cool- A lifted off road corvette is kind of a neat concept- took quite a bit of suspension mods to make it work at all, as well as major engine mods (cam, etc etc) that they displayed them doing on the show.
The Bucking Bronco Ranchero was pretty cool- and had awesome paint put on it- truly a show peice.

Both of those cars, when they were done with them were cleaned up and fixed, are now displayed as pretty interesting creations for discovery channel.

Now The elcamino on the other hand was totally guted- and I mean TOTALLY since they cut out all the inner supports for doors, hood, bed, etc etc- Then they raced it and it t-boned another car- which at the speeds they were going i'm sure bent the hell out of the frame, and you could see the results to the front end sheetmetal on the screen. That car is now garbage- Won't be going on display at shows(or if it does, it will be a display of a wrecked car) - and definitley won't be driving anywhere.

Sad sad sad. :mad: :mad: :mad: At least the other two will live on as "Monsters" and display for what they became. That poor elcamino is now garbage. Not even useable for sheetmetal.

And WHY did they do this to a really nice elcamino boys and girls? Purely for shock value to get us to watch. And unfortunatly it worked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Damn Monster Garage

Just another case of "Reality TV" pushing the envelope. Face it, as it was mentioned, if they cut up a beater (say a 1992 Sundance), nobody would have noticed. They got our goats but good.

I know it's a general statement, but 98% of TV is crap.

Contacting the sponsors is a good idea, but even better is just turn the damn thing off and go swing some wrenches and foster other bad habits!

Just my two cents. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Over 1400 members, $15 or $20 a head? How about pitching in for a West Coast Chopper and turning into manure spreader. :D They did the same thing on Horsepower TV to a nice Nova. Ripping a cherry car apart to turn it pro-street. Start your projects from junkers men! Lets see how good of fabricators you really are. I quit watching Horspower TV, never really watched Monster Garage in the first place. Do like my South Park though :oops:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Problem is it can only get worse. With the "reality" TV advent we have discovered that over the top moronic acts make for good TV. Kinda reminds me of wrestling and the peoiple who watch it. Jack Ass the life...part 215181...

Glad I didn't watch it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts