El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I started to install a few of the black with red stripe interior pieces that I got for my Elky I got 2 surprises.

1. The gauge pod cover would not fit over the head light switch. Any body know where I can get a MC SS switch? I tried the usual parts stores and just got dumb looks from them.

2. The red stripe tape that is on the center console shifter cover is just not on there good. Anybody know where I can get some more tape that is the same color and size? I don't want to have to redo all of the pieces so I want to get what matches everything else.

TIA

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Poltergeist said:
Today when I started to install a few of the black with red stripe interior pieces that I got for my Elky I got 2 surprises.

1. The gauge pod cover would not fit over the head light switch. Any body know where I can get a MC SS switch? I tried the usual parts stores and just got dumb looks from them.

2. The red stripe tape that is on the center console shifter cover is just not on there good. Anybody know where I can get some more tape that is the same color and size? I don't want to have to redo all of the pieces so I want to get what matches everything else.

TIA
Not sure I understand # 1, have you tried pulling the knob out first?

# 2, I used pinstipping on mine I purchased from an auto body supply house.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Poltergeist said:
The gauge pod cover would not fit over the head light switch. Any body know where I can get a MC SS switch? I tried the usual parts stores and just got dumb looks from them.
I believe the headlight switch in the El Camino and MCSS changed in 86. You must have a 86-88 MCSS cover. Your 82-85 headlight switch knob will not fit through a 86-88 MCSS cover. There is also a different headlight switch mounting bracket and smaller knob. You have two options:

1. Get a headlight knob for the 86-88 MCSS and put it on the old headlight switch shaft.
2. Get a Dremel tool and make the hole bigger.

:mrgreen:

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured there was a difference in the knobs but not the stupid switch also. I'll get the headlight knob and put it on the current switch.

I didn't think about an auto body supply house for the stripping.

Time to go do some more shopping. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts