El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 78 elky w/305. with help i am going to learn how to rebuild the engine. unfortunatly my 2 sources for info on hp upgrades don't seem to agree on anything. for example one says to put a 3/4 racing cam in it, and the other one says that does not exist and i should put a cam w/.5" lift in it. another example is one says to put a 650 cfm carb on it and the other says do not go over 600 cfm. i am not sure how much hp it puts out now (i guess around 180) but i would like to keep the original engine and get 300 hp out of it. is this possible and do either of these people know what they are talking about? any info would appreciated.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Sorry to say, but anyone who uses the term 3/4 cam is either a dinosaur or doesn't know a whole lot about engine building. Getting 300 horsepower out of a 305 cubic inch motor is possible, but not with just a 600 or 650 CFM carb and a cam...it's going to take a whole lot more than that, and a whole lot of money to do it. Pick up some magazines like Super Chevy and start reading...and then read some more. In your case it may be a better idea to save up some money and buy yourself a 350 cubic inch crate motor to drop into your Elky. 200-250 horsepower out of a 305 is more reasonable without spending a whole lot of money. Camshafts are primarily measured by lift and duration, but bigger is not always better, and if I were to try and explain it in this forum, I'd be typing for the next 2 hours. A good rule of thumb is 1 horsepower produced for 1 cubic inch (while keeping the engine streeable)...but in the case of your 305, the cylinder head design and the compression ratio of the pistons are inadequate to support this rule of thumb. I don't mean to bust your bubble, but you need to do some reading...a good investment would be a subscription to a magazine like Super Chevy, or a book such as "How to Build a Small Block Chevy for Performance" these are good publications for someone just starting out. I still read, use, and reference them regularly when building an engine. I hope you don't take this as being rude, but building a performance motor takes planning for what you want the end result to be and of course money and some knowledge and experience doesn't hurt either. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have looked at the price of crate engines and it seems that either way i will spend lots of money. i also have bought books about restoring cars, one specificly for my type of car, how to rebuild a smallblock, and even a couple about building hp. my dad has rebuilt many 350's, and has given me alot of information already. he will not actually work on my engine but will help give me info along the way. my brother is going to help me rebuild it, although he has never rebuilt an engine he does have more knowledge about cars than i do. i also paid someone to put a remanufactured engine, transmission, and new radiator in my car so it will still be running while i learn how to rebuild the engine. i want to take my time with it and get it right. based on what my dad and you said i should ignore the guy who said to put a 3/4 cam in it. thanks for the help!

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
jasno said:
i have a 78 elky w/305. with help i am going to learn how to rebuild the engine. unfortunatly my 2 sources for info on hp upgrades don't seem to agree on anything. for example one says to put a 3/4 racing cam in it, and the other one says that does not exist and i should put a cam w/.5" lift in it. another example is one says to put a 650 cfm carb on it and the other says do not go over 600 cfm. i am not sure how much hp it puts out now (i guess around 180) but i would like to keep the original engine and get 300 hp out of it. is this possible and do either of these people know what they are talking about? any info would appreciated.
Take a look at this site. It is a portal to a handful of articles written on building up the performance of a 305. A little technical, but informative.

http://www.newcovenant.com/Speedcrafter/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=2&tabid=7

You can also look at http://www.montecarloss.com. I find a lot of good technical information there as well.

Good LuckSpeedCrafterMonteCarloSS.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have only been a member for a short time, and already i have learned alot from this site. but my main question was which of these two people will steer me down the right path in rebuilding my engine. based on the first response i think i know the answer. thanks for the links i will check them out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jasno--This forum is not a matter of "who will steer me down the right path". No one who posts here would "steer you down the 'wrong' path". The guys who spend time here love their El Caminos and offer their opinions and their knowledge. If you look at some of the posts in the forum, you will find that we often do not agree with each other's opinions. It's up to you to read what various members offer, consider their opinions, do your own research if the topic requires it, and then decide what you want to do. What you decide to do may or may not work, but generally we(I) like to hear what happened. Sorry if I'm preaching.

I apologize, I think(?). My foregoing response to your last post was based on my initial reading that your question was about the two posts on this site in response to your first post. Upon rereading your post, I believe your last post referred to the two persons that you referred to in your original post. Accordingly, I refer you to the last part above about research and decisions. I have left this response here because I guess I do feel like preaching a little bit.

I do applaud you for wanting to learn how to build your motor and hope that we will be able to assist you in your efforts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don't mind the preaching. i know very little about restoring/rebuilding, so all the preaching, oppinions, and info will help me make informed decisions. thanks

·
1,867 Posts
I want to add to what bgstk said. Sometimes we do not agree like he said but its great to be part of a site that does respect each others opinions. I say this because I was part of a car site that you could tell was made up of mainly "kids". Some of them just wanted to argue & put others down even though they know nothing of what they were talking about. I got so tired of it that I quit going there. I am glad to hear that you are trying to learn & hope we can help you along the way. I have been working on cars for 25 years now & am still learning.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I have some respect for the 305. I've had a couple that were real work horses. Not much on power but they seem to last very well. I've put well over 180,000 miles on each one and I drive em like I stole em' so I am not easy on a car at all. The one in the 91 Caprice I had was the "quickest" and it ran pretty well, as far as get-up-and-go. My Pickup has no power to speak of but it will pull very well and keeps on going. I have had transmission issues after 100,000 with the truck but it was fixed by flushing the tranny and re-filling with fresh fluid. First change on the tranny since it was new. So both the 305 and the 4l60e (700R4) are pretty robust, my thoughts.

I wouldn't choose to build up a 305 to make it performance based but then they can be jacked up to 300 according to what I read. Heads, intake, carb (injectors) exhaust and cam will all need to be replaced to produce more horse power. After you get it there (300 Horse Power) then add another 150 shot of NOS and you got an even better engine.

·
Registered
314 Posts
any of you guys see the article in the car craft about a month ago?

They took a '78 305 in a wagon, and put the upgraded the usual mods ( headers, complete intake, new fuel pump, and 125 shot of nitrous)

It went from 20's in the 1/4 mile to high 15's, with the stock 2.41 gears. so i could see some pretty good times with 3.73 posi or what not

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you want a "hot rod", I'm afraid the 305 might be a disappointment. I recently had my 305 rebuilt and I'm real happy with it - but my primary goal is restoration of the truck to its original condition: It's not real fast out of the blocks but it is totally "smog"legal here in CA, has plenty of power for towing and hauling, and is a great ride on the freeway or around town.

I tend to agree with Elky Pete - I think that this engine is more of a workhorse than racehorse...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't really want a hotrod. I want to rebuild the engine more for the learning experiance. If you read my post under Engine Discussions "My Car Problems", you will see why I want to learn. I don't want to get screwed again! Also I want to learn about performance upgrades just for the learning. I have not decided how I'm going to rebuild the old engine yet, but when I do decide I will have lots of info from this forum. Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts