El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i came into possession a 85 Barth motor home with a 454. It runs great but the interior needs "LOTS" of work.
I was looking at it this morning setting beside my 84 El Camino and it came to mined
El Camino 84 350 crate engine runs nice
Or El Camino 84 454 ???????????

What do you all think of my coffee induces madness

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Look at the comparison for horsepower numbers and you might think its not worth it. I don't think it would be for me but you might be able to sell the 454 for some money.

How bad is the motor home interior? Cosmetic or worse?

Rick

·
Registered
15 Posts
mounting the 454 would definitely be a challenge, since the 84 originally has mounting points for a small block, and the car would handle differently with all the extra weight in the front. But if i had the time and money I'd go for it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
That motor would make that car so much fun to drive. The raw torque of that motor in that car would be so much fun!!! I have a low compression 454 in my 69. Its from a 1978 book-mobile that was demolished with just 200 miles on the odometer. Now the motor has about 12,000 miles and runs like a top! I have the ignition set at 20 degrees initial with 14 degrees mechanical all in by 2600 rpm. No vacuum advance. This thing runs like a dream!! It starts right up and prefers 87 octane.. After decades of lumpy idling motors with long duration cams this motor has restored my interest in street cars..

Do it!!! You will love it!

Also bolt a turbo 400 with a nice 2 series rear end. Didn't the G body have a 2:41? These big motors love ratios in the 2s. The stator in the Turbo 400 will multiply power and you will get even more torque..

As far as the front end being lower, I'd slide a pair of BMR 2" lowering springs in the back and have better looking plus more fun to drive..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just replaced the drive train 4 years ago 350 crate, 700r4, and 3.66 on a Detroit locker Trutrac.
Im looking for people to talk me into it. or my son is going to drop it in his 1978 Camaro he is building from the ground up

·
Premium Member
12,543 Posts
I took a 454 out of a motor home and put it in (Whole Shot), man was it fun. Your right, very little HP but lots and lots of torque!!
I dusted a few butts with it but be aware the top half of the motor does not like hi RPMs. The valves and the springs are not set up for that.
It threw that Camino around like it was nothing!!
Donny

Attachments

·
Senior Member Participating Member
813 Posts
Donny, did yah have some paint left over form the Yellow Rose? 😮

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,291 Posts
..Yea, after a ride in the rose, I went big block motor home engine,best thing I've ever done.. Thanks DDD..

..before..

..and after..

runs great..

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts