El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the driveway, if I turn my tires to the left all the way my engine shuts off. While driving if im coasting on a left turn it shuts off unless ,I give it gas and brake at the same time . It's ok when I make right turns. I loosened my steering belt, a little still shuts off. Is my steering pump putting a drag on the motor?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
In the driveway, if I turn my tires to the left all the way my engine shuts off. While driving if im coasting on a left turn it shuts off unless ,I give it gas and brake at the same time . It's ok when I make right turns. I loosened my steering belt, a little still shuts off. Is my steering pump putting a drag on the motor?
Yes it does load the engine...but it does it going either right or left, so if the problem only exists going left look for a wire that shorting on something when you turn left...that would be the only thing to make sense of those symptoms.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Another possibilty is it somehow not getting fuel while going left. Fuel pump shutting off, filter getting clogged when the gas sways to one side, something like that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had that same exact problem when I 1st got my car! :p all I did though was get a different power steering pump and pulley and install them but I dno if it would work on your car

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
If you do a search, there was some information given last year about an electrical connection on the steering box, that shuts the engine of if certain things happen at the same time. I think Roy, aka fixitman was the one that chimed in. If he doesn't answer here, pm him... or Authcad1. Both of them are know it alls!:poke:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 1980 no electric wire on.the pump. As far as fuel it shuts off with the car in park not moving. I guess I can remove the belt and see what happens.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does it instantly shut off or does it like bog down and turn off? Mine would bog down and turn off so I did what I mentioned earlier and it fixed my problem

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it instantly shut off or does it like bog down and turn off? Mine would bog down and turn off so I did what I mentioned earlier and it fixed my problem
It kinda bogs down .i will replace my steering pump thanks for the info . Just wanted to know if any one had this problem before.That's whats good about this site Somewhere,Someone,has had to fix it before!!!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
OK, here's something to check.

Make sure your motor mounts are OK. If they're worn, they can let the motor shift enough to one side to pinch a fuel line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts