El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using a th200 (metric) 3 speed in my '79 El Camino. My friend has a '79 Camaro with a th400 and want's to part with it, so here is my question: is there a way to install his floor shift pattern transmission to work on my column shift?

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,672 Posts
The th400 is also a 3 speed. If you are looking for overdrive you will need a 2004r or a 700r4.
Does his show the OD position? Maybe you have the transmissions confused as to model #.

·
Registered
802 Posts
TH400s are definitly 3 speeds. And your engine prolly wont like turning all the extra heavy duty stuff inside a TH400. Your mpg will go down

·
TrannyMike
2,808 Posts
Unless your friend did a conversion on his car it came with a 350. That would fit right into your car with only a few minor changes. If it's a 400 I'd pass on it. It's a strong trans but likes to eat up horsepower and takes some mods to the drive-line that require shortening it and converting the front u-joint and yoke. The crossmember needs to be changed too. There are few less costly changes also to make it fit. The best trans conversion is to a 200-4R. It costs more than a 350 but is worth it, and then I'd go with different rear end gears. Find out what it is first, then I can tell you in more detail what you'd need to do. :beer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is more than likely a th200-4r, I will confirm this the next time I take a look at it. If that is the case, the conversion from the 200, I am assuming, should not be that difficult. I appreciate any advice on this matter and thank you all for actually being helpful unlike many other forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts