El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ms Elly's First Annual El Camino Corral

I will be hosting a GTG on February 27th, 2021 at Bok Tower at 1151 Tower Blvd, Lake Wales, Florida. All are welcome to attend and their families and/or friends may come with you. Bring your pride and joy El Camino, your grocery getter, or whatever can bring you to join in on the fun.

Bok Tower has picnic areas with tables and charcoal grills where we can prepare and enjoy our lunch and the fellowship of those of us with others who have a love of El Camino’s. Lunch will be a covered dish affair with everyone bringing either their favorite dish to share, condiments, meat to grill, non-alcoholic drinks, paper goods, or clean up items. If anyone has a portable gas grill they can bring, that would be great. Try to arrive by 11:00 AM. This will give us time to enjoy the park before lunch at 1:00 PM
Bok Tower Pic.jpg
Spook Hill Picture.jpg

Bok Tower Gardens is a quiet peaceful scenic area located north of Lake Wales, Florida, United States. It consists of a 250-acre garden, the 205-foot tall Singing Tower with its carillon bells, Pine Ridge Trail, Pinewood Estate, and a visitor center. The tower is built upon Iron Mountain, one of the highest points of peninsular Florida, estimated to be 295 feet above sea level. It is a National Historic Landmark that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, nationally significant for its association with Edward W. Bok and its designers

For children there is Hammock Hollow which incorporates cooling water features, vibrant plantings, a boardwalk, play areas with climbing features, a stage for little performers, and plenty of space to build, dig, create and explore.

All visitors are required to have a mask and it must be worn when arriving at the Entrance Gate, at the Visitor Center Complex, when interacting with Bok Tower Gardens Staff, and inside interior spaces. Adult admission is $15, Children (ages 5-12) $5, children under 5 are free, Dogs are $5.

After our Bok Tower experience, we will motorcade to nearby Spook Hill.

The following have expressed an interest in attending:
robpp
kentf
kstmbowtie
Lenny Carey
squaq27
FK Kymino

Some of you have indicated that your El Camino may not be ready to make the trip. Just come out to enjoy the fun.
DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO PREVENT YOU FROM COMING!

COME ONE, COME ALL, DON’T MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY TO ENJOY THE COMRADERIE OF YOUR FELLOW EL CAMINO LOVERS.

ADD YOUR NAME TO THE LIST NOW.

LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING
YOU THERE.

Reactions: robpp

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you thinking about joining in on the fun?
COME ON FOLKS , DON'T MISS IT AND LATER WISH YOU HAD ATTENDED

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,730 Posts
We have been hoping to have another get together since the Pandemic hammered our schedule . Hopefully this event is far enough away that we will have an idea of the health situation and the open air setting will make it possible . I plan on attending and encourage you to join in the fun .

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I need some input from you folks that are interested in attending. I have been planning on having everyone bring a covered dish to share but, after talking with Lenny, I understand that some of you have quite a distance to ravel to get to Bok Tower. I agree that traveling from the Key's is a long distance to carry a covered dish. My understanding is that in the past money was given to Steve in Gainesville and he purchased and prepared the luncheon. Did I understand correctly? I am flexible and will proceed however you folks want. If you all want me to purchase everything or if you want to bring the food. That is ok. Just let me know what you want to do.

I am attaching a copy of what I had prepared to give you to decide what you will bring. Again, It's up to you want you want to do.

MS ELLY’S FIRST ANNUAL EL CAMINO CORRAL
Each member must bring a covered dish to share, (Enough to serve 12 people)

Please let us know what you plan on bringing to avoid duplication.
Write in and initial what covered dish you will bring

_ R/T – Potato Salad
____ --
____ --
____ --
____ --
___ --
___ --
____ --
____ --
____ --
____ --

In addition we will need the following
Again, initial what you can bring
__
Pack of hot dogs
__ Pack of hot dogs
__R/T_ Pound of ground beef
__R/T_ Pound of chicken tenders
__ Pack of hot dog buns
__ Pack of hot dog buns
__ Pack of hot dog buns
______Pack of hamburger buns
______Gallon of sweet tea
__Gallon of unsweetened tea
______Gallon of unsweetened tea
______12 pack of soda
______12 pack of soda
______Mustard, large
______Catsup, large
_______Relish
_______Minced onion
_______Salt & pepper
______20 lb. bag of ice
______20 lb. bag of ice
__R/T_Disposable plates
__R/T_ Disposable knives, forks & spoons
__R/T_ Disposable glasses
______Disposable table cloth
______Foil
______Paper towels (2 rolls)
______Garbage bags
______Cooler
______Cooler
__R/T_ Extra chairs
______Extra chairs
______Canopy’s, (optional)
______Extra tables, (optional)
______Spatula
______Grilling fork
______Grill brush
__Portable Gas Grill & fuel
OR

__20 lb bag of charcoal & lighter fluid

·
4,730 Posts
I need some input from you folks that are interested in attending. I have been planning on having everyone bring a covered dish to share but, after talking with Lenny, I understand that some of you have quite a distance to ravel to get to Bok Tower. I agree that traveling from the Key's is a long distance to carry a covered dish. My understanding is that in the past money was given to Steve in Gainesville and he purchased and prepared the luncheon. Did I understand correctly? I am flexible and will proceed however you folks want. If you all want me to purchase everything or if you want to bring the food. That is ok. Just let me know what you want to do.

I am attaching a copy of what I had prepared to give you to decide what you will bring. Again, It's up to you want you want to do.

MS ELLY’S FIRST ANNUAL EL CAMINO CORRAL
Each member must bring a covered dish to share, (Enough to serve 12 people)

Please let us know what you plan on bringing to avoid duplication.
Write in and initial what covered dish you will bring

_ R/T – Potato Salad
____ --
____ --
____ --
____ --
___ --
___ --
____ --
____ --
____ --
____ --

In addition we will need the following
Again, initial what you can bring
__
Pack of hot dogs
__ Pack of hot dogs
__ Pack of hot dog buns
__ Pack of hot dog buns
__ Pack of hot dog buns
__Gallon of unsweetened tea
______Gallon of unsweetened tea
______12 pack of soda
______12 pack of soda
______Mustard, large
______Catsup, large
_______Relish
_______Minced onion
_______Salt & pepper
______20 lb. bag of ice
______20 lb. bag of ice
__R/T_Disposable plates
__R/T_ Disposable knives, forks & spoons
__R/T_ Disposable glasses
______Disposable table cloth
______Foil
______Paper towels (2 rolls)
______Garbage bags
______Cooler
______Cooler
__R/T_ Extra chairs
______Extra chairs
______Canopy’s, (optional)
______Extra tables, (optional)
______Spatula
______Grilling fork
______Grill brush
__Portable Gas Grill & fuel
OR

__20 lb bag of charcoal & lighter fluid
At the track in Gainesville , we have had a number of get togethers and Steve has always ( with Kymino60`s help ) , done the food for us . Sometimes he had a guy he knew that did good BBQ prepare sandwiches and fixing and we paid around $ 10 for each meal . Members brought an array of snacks such as Mary`s famous cookies . Great if you found them before Edonthebeach discovered them . LOL . If members that live close enough will indicate what they could bring , this could turn out excellent . The donation was to insure that Steve did not get stuck paying for us and covered a few of his costs and I would like to do this again . However it is done , it is important that we do not put anyone in the position of doing so much work that they don`t get time to mingle and enjoy others company . Sooo , please let us know your thoughts and let`s help R/T in providing us with this fun experience . What do you say ?

Reactions: squag27

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Talk to me. How do you want to do this. Lenny's input does sound a lot easier or all of us. If this ok, we can proceed with that plan.
Let me know if there is a food preference, bbq, fried chicken, burgers, or whatever.
I will happily do whatever it takes. I am looking forward to meeting you all.

DON'T YOU MISS OUT ON THE FUN

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long has it been since you had the opportunity to enjoy the fellowship of El Camino friends?
Now, you have two, Palm Beach on January 30th and Bok Tower on February 27th
DON'T MISS OUT ON THE FUN.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My family is still working out logistics. We may have to find a camp site to stay for the weekend. Or I may just try to risk the 3 hr drive by myself. Either way my family has to many diet challenges, that we normally have our own food on hand. I know many people like the convince of having food on site, but we are rather fond of bringing our own food. I know that doesn't help for the group.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
kstmowtie
The closest campground seems to be Hammondell. See attached link:

Don't have any recent experience with campsites, (last time was 35 years ago at Disney's Fort Wilderness), so I don't know what rates normally are. This one charges $6o a night. Sounds high to me for a plot of ground BUT what do I know.

I understand why you would bring your own food. Especially since you will be camping. Just let me know

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Talk to me. How do you want to do this. Lenny's input does sound a lot easier or all of us. If this ok, we can proceed with that plan.
Let me know if there is a food preference, bbq, fried chicken, burgers, or whatever.
I will happily do whatever it takes. I am looking f.orward to meeting you all.
DON'T YOU MISS OUT ON THE FUN

P.S. Don't forget the Hot Car Show at Anchorage Park in N. Palm Beach on January 30th.

Check it out on this link"

Attention Region 6 members ,car show Jan 30 , North Palm Beach | El Camino Central Forum

·
Registered
517 Posts
R/T, knowing the members of Region 6 you may not hear a ton from members that will go until the event is a bit closer. I'm still planning on going as of now but my '82 Elco (having well earned it's nickname of "The Money Pit") has been suspiciously reliable lately so I'm anticipating another breakdown in it any day now. I'd imagine some other members may be in the same boat as me.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks squag27, I know all about money pits. Got shed of last one after 14 years of pouring money into the pit. Still miss it.

Apparently folks prefer to pay someone else to provide the food and so on instead of having a potluck event.
This is OK. As host of this event I will be happy to assume the role of provider.
However, eventually I will need to have some sort of head count.

robpp
kentf
kstmbowtie
Lenny Carey
squaq27
FK Kymino
R/T

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to here that. Hopefully you will change your mind as the time gets closer.
R/T

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ARE YOU ON THE LIST YET?????????????????

robpp
kentf
kstmbowtie
Lenny Carey
squaq27
FK Kymino
R/T

DON'T MISS THIS ONE.

·
4,730 Posts
Between the numbers of members that have said they will attend ( hopefully a few more will ) , let`s make it simple and pick up/ bring our own lunch which would be easy , cheap and R/T would not have to mess with a grill/food etc and we can all use that time to talk with others , see their rides and not cook or be concerned with any food handling/ health issues . Hopefully , others that have asked for an event in their area can attend this open air get together and everyone use good health practices so we can enjoy meeting one another . Who else is up for it ?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those of you worried about Covid , you can wear a mask & keep 6 feet apart , no handshakes or hugs . If you have tested positive stay home . There is plenty of space at the show , we can space our chairs 6 feet apart & even wear a mask if you wish .

1 - 20 of 57 Posts