El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed a MSD HEI ignition with the MSD Heat module. Runs great a very good upgraade.

However, now my stock tachometer does not register. Do I need a tach converter for it to work with the new HEI tach output?

Maybe my tach is toast I don't have any way to verify it works. Any ideas?

·
Registered
699 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
i don't see why you would need some special adapter. the tach should be just like most tachs and only require having the the tach wire hooked to the ground side of the coil to make it work.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Hmmm.... I’ve never had an issue feeding a tach. But my new-to-me ‘68 has the stock tach and it doesn’t work. I’m still investigating the car and haven’t got to that issue yet. Someone has dropped an HEI in it and the tach wire is plugged in properly. The HEI does have a red cap and the plug wires are MSD. I haven’t popped the cap yet to see what’s inside. Is this known-issue only for MSD box equipped cars, or does it affect all cars with MSD guts in the distributor?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MSD claims there could be an issue. I'll cave in and buy the adapter and see if that makes a difference. Thanks every body.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with MSD. The stock Chevy tach doesn't need anything special to operate with the MSD Heat Hei Module. It should run off the Gray wire supplied from the module (trigger) 12 volts and Ground. I must have a bad connection or bad tach. I hope it's the former of the two.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Not sure if I will need to start another subject but since someone mention the tach, mind just quit working one day and of course I checked the fuse box first and that was OK and next the tach it self & the wires where all good so not sure what I should try next. Any thoughts to a tach just stopping suddenly? Help Help Michael in South Boston, Va 434-579-2221

1 - 8 of 8 Posts