El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting an MSD ignition in my daily driver 78 but don't know which would be best. I definently know a 6 series is where I need to be. My 78 is running a rebuilt 355 with a mild cam. And don't know if I should go with a 6, 6a or 6al or even a 6al-2 but the 6al-2 seems like a little to much. Any help on this would be appreciated thank you!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm no real fan of MSD having had three 6AL's fail on me, I say you probably want the probillet dist with the 6AL and Blaster coil. The one that looks like a Monoply house. This will give you a rev limiter. I set my rev limiters once and never touch them again. The dist is ok and you get an advance curve kit with it. You can Taylor you advance before you drop it in. Get the one with the vacuum advance or you will never get any good mpg.

Unless you have some high performance racing in mind I'd recommend a stock HEI with an advance curve kit. There are better modules than the GM ones. I'd have one in my Willys but they won't fit behind the blower.

I have a stock HEI in my 77 el Camino SS with a crate motor and it runs just fine.

If you choose the MSD wire it exactly as the directions show. Be sure to use the correct size wire. Never operate it with a battery charger only. I disconnect the battery if I'm charging it. I never use a battery charger to jump the car either. I don't know the electrics of what can happen but I know the results. By by number one, my fault. Don't weld on the car with the battery connected either.
Byron

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See I'm trying to get away from factory HEI I've gone through 3 now and while my engine is driving it just fails on me. One minute I'm running fine next minute I got no spark. I've gone through 3 different HEIs so that's why I'm moving to MSD with a control box and external cool cause I'm told that will fix my problem. Cause something about the high vibration that caused the connections to fall apart even the if I ziptie the connections and everything. While my car isn't using its vaccume advance at the current moment (guy who built my engine didn't use it and when connected the engine won't start) I still plan to buy a pro- billet distributor with a vaccume advanced still.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I'm with bentwings 10000%. Don't be surprised if a MSD ignition has all sorts of issues as well. A multiple spark below 3000 makes it burn nice and clean, no argument, but it doesn't add any power over a PROPERLY WORKING stock ignition. All the spark plug does is 'start' the fire,, the heat and compression takes it from a spark kernel to complete combustion.

The super HOT coils and racing ignitions are designed to overcome the resistance in the chamber of the high compression. High cylinder pressure is RESISTANCE to the spark jumping the gap and stating the combustion process. The multipel spark wasn't designed to help ANYTHING but to keep th eplugs from fouling at low RPM with the HORRIBLE mixture of air and fuel of a race cam slobbering at low RPM.

MSD is also VERY finicy about poor grounds and poor charging / electrical systems. They are not realy friendly about warranteeing distributors and ignition boxes because of your electrical problems. Not saying that is your issue, just be aware.

My suggestion is to not buy your HEI module from the discount parts houses.They are imported JUNK modules and plauged with failures. Find a true GM / Delphi / ACDelco module and check your electrical system. I'd rather pull a TRUE GM module out of a 40 year old GM wreck than buy one of those imported pieces of junk.

But,, just my 2¢

·
1,867 Posts
I have run a 6a on my car for over 10 years with no problems at all. I run 10 to 1 compression and I could tell it helped a lot. I uninstalled it when I put in a new HEI and quickly reinstalled it. Quicker starts and smoother running engine. I installed a 6a on my turbo Z car with great results to. I don't know why others have had problems but you can't go wrong with MSD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts