El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to get a Trans Am with the 350 with fuel injection as a complete running car. I was wondering what the difficulty of swapping the drive train into the El Camino. Also if done what needs to be done to the fuel system to run the fuel injection. I guess I am asking if this swap is worth th trouble.Any info on what needs to be done and what to look out for would be appreciated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I converted my 305 over to TPI 2 years ago. Best swap I ever did. If you have a complete donor car, the swap should be an "easy" transplant. The big thing will be running a return line from the engine to your fuel tank. Was the TransAm a manual or an auto? Is your Elco a manual or auto? As long as they are the same, the chip will work fine from the donor car. If not, you will have to get one that matches your tranny. Good luck and PM me with any questions.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both cars are automatic. I was going to swap the engine and trans. What type of fuel pump do you run as I am sure the mechanical pump is not what is on the newer engine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is confirmed the guy just checked the title it is an 87 GTA.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
a 87 would be a TPI,, great system for a torqey smaller sbc,,good gas milage too..
you would have to convert to a mpfi/tpi electric fuel pump, they need about 50 psi..

get over in the tpi/efi forum and try a search,, lots of good threads..
then come back with the questions.. happy readin..:texas:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I realized I mispoke hen I stated Multiport, after I had posted.

·
Supporting Member
4,587 Posts
If you go to my website and click on the TPI page, I've posted a bunch of links and helpful info. There is a spreadsheet there that lists all the parts I used and their cost.

HTH

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,100 Posts
I have the chance to get a Trans Am with the 350 with fuel injection as a complete running car. I was wondering what the difficulty of swapping the drive train into the El Camino. Also if done what needs to be done to the fuel system to run the fuel injection. I guess I am asking if this swap is worth th trouble.Any info on what needs to be done and what to look out for would be appreciated.
Paul,

Just saw your post and wondering if you ever started this project?

I did my '87 Choo Choo 2 years ago. Here is a high level summary of what I transplanted into my EC:

- '87 IROC Camaro 5.0 motor, replaced the heads with ZZ4 aluminum and a ZZ4 cam
- used a Howell Engine developments wiring harness and a 7165 ECM, burning my own chips for it.
- '87 Monte SS 200R4 trans (rebuilt it before putting it in).
- '87 Monte SS 3.73 posi rear wiith the sway bar.

Over all is a nice setup. Runs well, still fine tuning the chips for the MEMCAL as the ZZ4 heads and cam push a little more gas into the 305, so still running a little rich. I also changed out the stock injectors from 19lb to 21lb to help compensate for the extra gas required.

Bruce

1 - 11 of 11 Posts