El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys, I am new to this G-Body/ A body special thing. I have a 1979 El Camino with a 400 small block. (not original)

Here are the following upgrades I am doing:
1. Blazer/Jimmy front and rear brake upgrade
2. Jeep Cherokee steering shaft
3. Jeep Grand Cherokee Steering Box
4. 700R4 Transmission from 350
5. Long speedo to round speedo conversion

Any other ideas on any other affordable upgrades???

·
Deputy National Director
10,184 Posts
Just to let you know your 79 is officially the A-Body (64-81), G-Body started in 1982

Don't know if you have seen these threads ?

Reactions: Camino79504

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,490 Posts
most, if not all, of the mods you mentioned are listed on the threads 87Next posted. there's also a bunch of other stuff such as sway bars, jounce bars, and a whole lot of other bars. those should be listed in the other threads also.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Its the Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box swap. Not the Commander (???), not the Liberty, Laredo and not the Sport models.

Only with the JGC box do we know the parameters for the sweep angle, torsion bar force and steering ratio. The values inside these other steering boxes are still a mystery.

You will also need a new rag joint and the Dorman 31011 part number works for me. Add a ground wire to it because the original rag joint on my 70 EC had one. YMMV.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,146 Posts
Rag joint replacement or jeep u-joint shaft is an option. Some prefer the rag joint as it can help absorb road noise and vibration, some prefer the u-joint as it gives better feel for the road. The jeep shaft is not an 'upgrade' as such, the rag joint works very well, but can be a downgrade in performance if it changes your perception of driving comfort and smoothness.

Just as stiffening up the suspension with swaybars, jounce bars, new springs and responsive shocks isn't an upgrade if you much prefer the car ride like a Caddy to a street racer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to let you know your 79 is officially the A-Body (64-81), G-Body started in 1982

Don't know if you have seen these threads ?

Thanks like I said I'm new to this.lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its the Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box swap. Not the Commander (???), not the Liberty, Laredo and not the Sport models.

Only with the JGC box do we know the parameters for the sweep angle, torsion bar force and steering ratio. The values inside these other steering boxes are still a mystery.

You will also need a new rag joint and the Dorman 31011 part number works for me. Add a ground wire to it because the original rag joint on my 70 EC had one. YMMV.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks corrections made.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Rag joint replacement or jeep u-joint shaft is an option. Some prefer the rag joint as it can help absorb road noise and vibration, some prefer the u-joint as it gives better feel for the road. The jeep shaft is not an 'upgrade' as such, the rag joint works very well, but can be a downgrade in performance if it changes your perception of driving comfort and smoothness.

Just as stiffening up the suspension with swaybars, jounce bars, new springs and responsive shocks isn't an upgrade if you much prefer the car ride like a Caddy to a street racer.
Yeah you are correct I should have been more clear. These are performance upgrade to make car road ready for every day vehicle not street racer.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yeah you are correct I should have been more clear. These are performance upgrade to make care road ready for every day vehicle not street racer.
For an everyday vehicle, daily driver, I'd use poly bushings in the rear, but rubber in the front. New springs, kyb shocks, make sure to get a rear sway bar, and jounce bars for the front. Blazer brakes and I'd keep the rag-joint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For an everyday vehicle, daily driver, I'd use poly bushings in the rear, but rubber in the front. New springs, kyb shocks, make sure to get a rear sway bar, and jounce bars for the front. Blazer brakes and I'd keep the rag-joint.
Thanks for the add. Do you have and part numbers or websites? As for the rear sway bar, are you referring to the f41 sway bar?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yes. 5th gen didn't come with rear sway bars, or half of what the Regals/Grand Prix got like the radiator supports etc. Basically it was just a larger front sway bar, jounce bars and HD springs. I guess GM didn't exactly consider the elky a muscle car or in need of sport suspension like the other g-bodies.

I just got my shocks and springs from RockAuto. Mine is factory AC, so those are important for the front, I opted for variable rate rears instead of constant. Most will agree that the Bilstein shocks are the best, but come at a premium price. The KYB are the best on a more budget range. I doubt you find anyone voting to reinstall the OEM airshocks.

Most will also agree that a set of AirLift 1000 bags (# 60733) are also a bonus.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
The 1.25 inch UMI sway bar on the front (formerly, a tired one inch bar) and the new 1.00 inch sway bar on the back TRANSFORMED (!!) the suspension on my 70 EC. I had no bar at all on the back originally and I'm now quite happy with the lack of body roll in big turns.

These were definitely worth the cost.

Rick

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
I used a hellwig bar on the rear of my 69. Worked great, no complaints.

Actually bought it from Randy Turner. Rip

Reactions: Camino79504

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let me get this straight. The best way to go with the suspension is with Hellwig rear bar with poly bushings, Bilstein or KYB shocks (depending on budget), new heavy duty springs, 1.25 inch UMI sway bar on the front, jounce bars and for a bonus a set of AirLift 1000 bags (# 60733). Am I forgetting anything?

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,490 Posts
Let me get this straight. The best way to go with the suspension is with Hellwig rear bar with poly bushings, Bilstein or KYB shocks (depending on budget), new heavy duty springs, 1.25 inch UMI sway bar on the front, jounce bars and for a bonus a set of AirLift 1000 bags (# 60733). Am I forgetting anything?
well, that's for starters! there's a bunch more you can throw on for cheap. the monte carlo bar, radiator x-bars, firewall to fender and fender to core support stiffening bars. don't forget to replace the (probably) old worn-out body bushings

1 - 20 of 40 Posts