El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really appreciate this forum! Already found lot's of great information here and have met some very cool fellow enthusiasts.

I thought I would post my ~$200 paint booth solution.

I have a 36' X 36' shop and want to DIY my restoration (1968 el Camino) paint in it. Only one bay, 12' X 22' is available. Chassis, parts, etc are in the rest.

Here are my priorities for the paint booth:

-Great paint job, without any dust, bugs, contaminants etc screwing up the paint job
-Not get overspray all over the shop
-Temporary. Easy to put up and take down. May use it again in the future.

So, I did a bunch of research and came up with this solution:

-Quictent 10'x20' Party Tent Gazebo Wedding Canopy with Removable Sidewalls. $115 on Amazon
-(3) Lasko 20" Box fans at Home Depot, $19 each = $57 total
-Rheem 20" X 20" X 1" furnace filters, 3 pack, $16
-Ram Board to cover the floor (I have a really nice Epoxy floor and don't want to get paint on it, if concrete, I could skip this) $60 at Home Depot

I used 2 fans for input and taped the filters on them and mounted them in 7/16" OSB that I had laying around. I mounted the input fans ~ 6' high.

The Lasko fans move 2500 CFM each. Assuming a 30% loss with the filters on the input, I have 3500 CFM coming into the booth, of filtered air.

Output fan is at ground level and draws 2500 CFM, so I have positive pressure in the booth and air moves end-to-end and down.

I put the output right at the exterior overhead door and cut some OSB panels so only the exhaust fan area is exposed to outside. This is because I'm in the Northwest and painting in the winter, need to keep as much heat in the shop as possible.

Volume of the booth is 1900 ft/3 (10W X 20L X 9H) so my air turnover rate is less than one minute.

The booth is in no way "airtight" but since the input is greater than the outlet CFM, excess air just moves OUT through the seams and bottom.

I taped the corners just to hold it together and control airflow.

I will add some painters plastic to the visible side seam and tape it so I have an easy entry/exit point.

Attached pictures show the setup, and a simple airflow test with a lighter. Definite air movement the way I wanted!

I also did a "cigar test." Fired up a big stogie and blew a cloud of smoke and it moved rapidly the way I wanted :)

I think this is going to work!

Yes, 10' wide is a little narrow for a whole car paint job. But, the legs of the tent angle outwards giving a floor width of 12'. A typical muscle car is ~7' wide and I can "nudge" the booth over (it is very light) a foot when I do each side, so that will give me ~4' of space when painting each side. I think that will work.

I will post an update and pics when I start shooting. Looking forward to that and your comments!

Dean

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
That should do the trick! (y) My brother had a friend paint his 51 Ford Club Coupe back in 66 or so and they hosed down a cinder floor in a 1 car garage and other measures to control the dust and they ended up with a show quality paint job! Good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Man, you are sick. How can you have such a clean garage?
But seriously, that is one nice setup that you built. I think you planned it out well, and the ability to dismantle and reassemble is worth 25x the expense and initial design/build time.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
My only concern is the paint fumes on the exit fan,, those fans are not explosion proof,, paint fumes can explode!!
I would hate to see you blow your house apart due to paint fumes. Good luck with your project!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My only concern is the paint fumes on the exit fan,, those fans are not explosion proof,, paint fumes can explode!!
I would hate to see you blow your house apart due to paint fumes. Good luck with your project!!
Hmmm. Worst case, I'll be standing there with St. Peter saying "What happened . . .!!?" He'll say, "should've listened to Matty man. At least you weren't working on a Ford . . . "

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Wouldn't the filters catch most of the flammable particulates and also depend on what kind of paint used (fumes)? I read where the fan motors don't get that hot and that if the fans are new or free of dust around the motors things should be O.K! Don't take my word for it there are many answered questions on Google or? searching for will my fans blow up my paint booth or something like that! (y)(y);)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. First spray in the $200 booth. I put SPI Epoxy primer (Black) on the underside of the hood (my "test" panel.) The booth worked great! Good air flow, no overspray hanging around, no explosions from the cheapo fans. All worked as planned. I sprayed 16 ounces of paint in about 15 minutes. I took the picture as soon as I put the gun down, you can see there is no "cloud" in the booth. I'm really happy with how it worked! There was some "swirling" as predicted. Surprisingly there is black paint on the intake filters and some on the intake back wall. But overall the airflow worked out and this setup gets my thumbs up to keep using :cool:(which is good since I had no backup plan.)
And as a side note, I'm totally digging my Devilbiss (Tekna) Pro-Lite and the DeKups system. Easy to use, easy to clean.
Also, the SPI rep told me that the Epoxy primer will work just fine for chassis, firewall, inner fenders etc. From what I'm seeing so far, I'm thinking he is right and I will go with that. I noted that the tech sheet said if you are doing this, to use a 4 hour induction time. Roger that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Unbelievable, so cool. My house was built in 1926, very small one car garage. I'm thinking about spraying my Caballero in the driveway. No room in the garage. I love the pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really appreciate this forum! Already found lot's of great information here and have met some very cool fellow enthusiasts.

I thought I would post my ~$200 paint booth solution.

I have a 36' X 36' shop and want to DIY my restoration (1968 el Camino) paint in it. Only one bay, 12' X 22' is available. Chassis, parts, etc are in the rest.

Here are my priorities for the paint booth:

-Great paint job, without any dust, bugs, contaminants etc screwing up the paint job
-Not get overspray all over the shop
-Temporary. Easy to put up and take down. May use it again in the future.

So, I did a bunch of research and came up with this solution:

-Quictent 10'x20' Party Tent Gazebo Wedding Canopy with Removable Sidewalls. $115 on Amazon
-(3) Lasko 20" Box fans at Home Depot, $19 each = $57 total
-Rheem 20" X 20" X 1" furnace filters, 3 pack, $16
-Ram Board to cover the floor (I have a really nice Epoxy floor and don't want to get paint on it, if concrete, I could skip this) $60 at Home Depot

I used 2 fans for input and taped the filters on them and mounted them in 7/16" OSB that I had laying around. I mounted the input fans ~ 6' high.

The Lasko fans move 2500 CFM each. Assuming a 30% loss with the filters on the input, I have 3500 CFM coming into the booth, of filtered air.

Output fan is at ground level and draws 2500 CFM, so I have positive pressure in the booth and air moves end-to-end and down.

I put the output right at the exterior overhead door and cut some OSB panels so only the exhaust fan area is exposed to outside. This is because I'm in the Northwest and painting in the winter, need to keep as much heat in the shop as possible.

Volume of the booth is 1900 ft/3 (10W X 20L X 9H) so my air turnover rate is less than one minute.

The booth is in no way "airtight" but since the input is greater than the outlet CFM, excess air just moves OUT through the seams and bottom.

I taped the corners just to hold it together and control airflow.

I will add some painters plastic to the visible side seam and tape it so I have an easy entry/exit point.

Attached pictures show the setup, and a simple airflow test with a lighter. Definite air movement the way I wanted!

I also did a "cigar test." Fired up a big stogie and blew a cloud of smoke and it moved rapidly the way I wanted :)

I think this is going to work!

Yes, 10' wide is a little narrow for a whole car paint job. But, the legs of the tent angle outwards giving a floor width of 12'. A typical muscle car is ~7' wide and I can "nudge" the booth over (it is very light) a foot when I do each side, so that will give me ~4' of space when painting each side. I think that will work.

I will post an update and pics when I start shooting. Looking forward to that and your comments!

Dean

View attachment 133336
View attachment 133337
View attachment 133338
View attachment 133339
Very creative I just hope you bought a very good respirator as the fumes
For high volitile paint are deadly

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very creative I just hope you bought a very good respirator as the fumes
For high volitile paint are deadly
Oh Yeah! Currently using 3M respirator. Wait until you see my post on the $200 fresh air hood that I am working on. I think it is going to be awesome.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Work continues on my "test panel."
Got the top of the hood shot in epoxy primer

Of course, there are a few dents to fill in

Do you ever want to cuss out the prior owner(s)? Seriously, you just had to drop something in the middle of the hood, on the body line. On a classic car! No problem on a 1985 Ford Grenada, but a 1968 el Camino??? Be careful for crying out loud. Serious challenge to get this prefect.

So, here it is with my best attempt at filling in with bondo and shaping. Took 3 layers and way too much time sanding . . .

And then 1st go 'round with 2K primer and blocking and filling minor imperfections with glaze. I'm like 12 hours into this one panel. And this is just a test to see if I can even do this auto body and painting thing. And to think this panel looked straight before I started . . .

And here we are, final 2K primer coat before sealing and then base coat. Yeah, a little "tiger striping" on the 2K. Still trying to get the gun dialed in. Good thick coat but the edges of the fan were flashing. I'm sure it is just getting the pressure, fan, and fluid settings right. Better get my act together before base coat and DEFINITELY before clear.

The whole goal of this "test panel" (I'm not using this hood, going to put SS hood on the car) is to LEARN. Have to keep reminding myself of that and I am definitely learning! Biggest lesson? This ain't easy . . . but it is doable. I'm hanging in there and having fun.
Better to be in the shop and dong this, than obsessing over the latest vote count. Can I get an amen? ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts